Here's "MY" Completion

For general discussion of the Kolb family of aircraft.
Includes: Firefly, Firestar, Mark III C, Mark III X, Kolbra, Sport 600, Slingshot, Twinstar Mark II, and Ultrastar
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Here's "MY" Completion

Post by planecrazzzy »

Well,
       This "topic" looked pretty lonely.... So, I'll post my completion...First Flight was
Oct 8 , 2005 ....."I" was the Test Pilot....

You can read my story here :

Well,
Today was the day....I did 3 fast taxis....First one - I flew the tail .....Second one was a little faster and it lifted off
the ground slightly.....the third one I planned to lift off aprox 10 ft off the ground....Check it for Trim ....if trim was too
bad , I'd put it back on the ground .....If trim was OK , I'd give it throttle and fly it.....Trim was PERFECT !!!

Through out my short , 15 min flight ( planned ) my trim was just perfect and it flew like I hoped it would !

I went about 2000 ft AGL and I checked the stall speed ( not FULL stall ) and then I brought
it in and made a VERY GOOD LANDING....

Tesa ( my Daughter ) took some pictures of my first flight.....I told her to wait a little to see the landing
gear off the ground.....She did a good job....

Now if I can only get this stupid GRIN off my face....

Gotta Fly...
Mike

PS Paul at the airport asked if somebody already flew the plane before me.....No......he said " That's Crazy"

I said No, "That's Planecrazzzy"  

My Second Flight had some Exciting moments:

Hey,
A little crosswind 5-10 mph , not a problem.....Drove up to Cambridge Airport (MN) it's in my Flight Test Area
Met some NICE people....everybody that I met there was nice...

Set-up my plane and after assembly, while I was doing my preflight, I had a notepad and I made a check list....
I tried to use other peoples to make "mine" but I think it was better to walk around it and make notes....

First Flight was NONEVENTFUL, second flight "had it's moments"

First thing wrong , last week I took some advise and turned up my idle to 2000-21000 , Somebody said it was a good idea.
That was fine "last week" because I was on grass, this week I was on an asphalt runnway....It wanted to taxi TOO fast
I had to "back taxi" on runway 34 so I couldn't just stop and adjust it till I got to the end where the "run up" area was...
so I used my brakes alot and checking that they weren't getting hot.

OK, take off was different then last week.....First flight I was gently on throttle....barely power to fly...checking things
out...then gently adding power and climbing out.....

This week , I added power to take off.....(no pussy footin around)....what "I" thought was going to be a GRADUAL increase in power , was in fact was a rocket launch.....She torqued on me a little , I caught it, and it wasn't long after that
and I was airborn..... I'm not trying to do space shuttle launches.....But she's a "home sick angel"

This time I planned to fly for 1 hr, and I wore gloves....last time my throttle hand was getting cold.....
although this time gave me a chance to get cold EVERY WHERE ELSE....( cockpit inclosed on the "ta do list" )

I took some pictures , I mested with my GPS , I got a good chance to look around the plane and check things out.
I noticed that my Lift Struts kinda vibrate and shake a little from the wind...

I cut the flight short, after 45 min, this ol California boy was cold..... So, I entered the pattern , I made my calls on the
radio , but I'm still not sure if it's working right....anyway, heres the EXCITING part.....as I'm turning Base for 34 , I turned
my head to look at the runway and my hat caught some wind and was taking my headset with it.....OH Crap,
I reached up and stopped everything from getting blown back , I had to put my hat under my leg , and I got my headset
back on ......Now I don't have the wind protection of my hat ( the windshield sags alittle ) and the wind is swirling
around my glasses and making my eyes water.....Oh Crap....Well, I'm turning my head and blinking trying to land
the plane....thinking , I don't need this....
My first landing was close to perfect.....this one was good , but I could have flown it a little lower....I wasn't close to bending gear....and it didn't bounce , I guess that first landing will be hard to "top" .....although I'd say I was a Little Distracted this time.....

Gotta Fly...
                                      Mike in MN   /  N381PM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
team_skyflash

Re: Here's "MY" Completion

Post by team_skyflash »

Nicely done!
I hope our own first flight will be just as easy and enjoyable as your one sounds =)

Cogratulations and lots of fun with your new airplane!
Join Our Dream:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skyflash- ... 1813056201 <-- Pictures, Stories and more, Like us
http://twitter.com/skyflash_team <-- Latest News, Follow us

Return to “Kolb Aircraft”