Page 1 of 1

Firestar II / Full Enclosure/ Sections

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:11 pm
by planecrazzzy
Hey Guys,
              I started working on my Full Enclosure today....

I'm off work til next year ( use it or lose it )

Anyway , out in the garage using my NEW Tig machine to weld the  aluminum angle contraption.....

I had a little over 400lbs of Argon , so I figured it would get me over these next 3 days....


I got most of the nose cone piece finished....I was going to add a little

weld to radius a corner....Weld was coming out dirty......What the......

Checked my gas......said 400lbs......Hit the button.......Nothin

Ran out gas , seems the flow meter gauge that came with the Tig  machine is a little on the cheap side.....

I've got a few pictures to share.....

"My" full enclosure is going to be done in sections.....That way pieces can

be changed easy and cheaper than replacing the whole thing...

in the pictures is my Front mounting bracket for the main wind screen...

It'll have two main tubes welded to it , and doors will hinge off of them,

or Fly without the doors...

      Gotta Fly...                          

Full enclosure

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:16 pm
by planecrazzzy
This is the outside view...

Gotta Fly...                            

Progress

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:03 pm
by planecrazzzy
I got more Argon today.....Back to work.....Hey , wait a minute , I'm on Vacation.....Back to having fun...
.
.
.



  Gotta Fly...                    

Full enclosure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:08 pm
by planecrazzzy
Here's what I ended up with for today....

It's kind of got that " FLINTSTONES "  look to it....
.
.
.
  Gotta Fly...                        

Building update

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:06 pm
by planecrazzzy
I got a little more done on my Full enclosure today....Here's more pictures...
.
.
.
Gotta Fly...      

Building update

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:18 pm
by planecrazzzy
Here's 3 more pictures of today's progress...
.
.
Gotta Fly...  

Still at it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:33 pm
by planecrazzzy
I've had a few delays....Garage heater needed a new Thermocouple the other morning.....That went straight to the TOP of the list of things to do....Lucky the weather isn't as cold as usual...

Starting to go together now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:45 pm
by planecrazzzy
I welded up the frame....Cleaned up the welds.....Polished the tubing and shined up the rest of it....

Now I'm drilling holes ,  holding things together with Cleco's....

Tomorrow I'll trim the Lexan for a better fit and rivet to the frame ......     then bolt the frame in place.....

The other stuff that hangs off the frame will be riveted to it....

Flyable

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:30 pm
by planecrazzzy
As of this point , it's Flyable....Not done , but able to fly "as is"

I'm now working on the  Front / Sides , like the original wind screen....except , I'll be "bowing" them out for a better fit

to the doors that I'll be making....

    Gotta Fly...
                    Mike in MN

Front / Side pieces

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:40 pm
by planecrazzzy
Here's an idea of how it's gonna look...

Front / Side pieces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:40 pm
by planecrazzzy
I've got one of the front / side frames done....

The original windscreen bolts will hold it in place... That's why the frame only has three sides.

Gotta Fly...      

Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:57 pm
by planecrazzzy
Here's a couple of pictures....I still need to "fit it" a little more....But it's turning out fine...

Front / Side pieces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:06 pm
by planecrazzzy
It works good ,  I have a "lip" of aluminum that wedges between the tube and the Lexan....

Then the Original windscreen bolts are used to hold it in place......it's solid.

 Gotta Fly...

Front / Side pieces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:16 pm
by planecrazzzy
Frame work for front right done today...

It went faster than the first one....but the lexan will still take alot to "fit"

   Gotta Fly...

Front right side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:10 pm
by planecrazzzy
Done with the first stage of inclosing my Firestar II....

The same amount of lexan is needed to replace the old style windscreen....

I get more protection from the wind this way and it's only a couple of pounds more...

The aluminum framework is VERY LIGHT... ( Love that TIG machine )
.
.
.

  Gotta Fly...