AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

I'm working on completing the Vertical Stabilizer & Rudder. Chris Wallen sent me some photos of his progress. They are more interesting than the Vertical Stabilizer & Rudder. The wings are coming along nicely. I also just noticed the Flaps & Ailerons are hanging on the wall behind the wings. Chris also sent me some sketches for the Paint Scheme. I am using Silver Oratex, and it will have an accent color Plum Crazy Purple (vintage color from a 1971 Plymouth Cuda 440 6 Pack). Chris also sent me a sketch of the intended paint scheme we have been working on. Lastly he receive the pint of Paint and sprayed some samples to see how difficult it is to paint & to see how well it covers. Chris Commented "Not going to lie it looks pretty badass. And covers really good!" I must admit I think the Purple will look great on the Silver Oratex. I also want to give big kudos to Chris Wallen, he has been a pleasure to work with!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Love the color. Looks metallic. JoeB
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Nice Paul! Looks great! I know you're getting excited, won't be long now.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I need to bond on the leading edge cuff for the Rudder, and as complete as I can be with the Vertical Stabilizer. I have the leading edge cuffs for the Rudder on the vacuum bag table. Then it is finish work I should be 98% complete by the end of next week. At which time I need to check with Chris Wallen as to when he wants to install the tail feathers. I am running out of carbon fiber, I ordered some. I will complete the push rod cover and the 2nd air dam as soon as the carbon fiber arrives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Nice Paul! Looks great! I know you're getting excited, won't be long now.

Clark
Clark, excited doesn’t describe it. I’m was getting burned out working on the Tail Feathers. Chris Wallen’s photos have definitely lit the fire under me. The consistent cash drain on my savings has been a little unnerving, but I was committed to that once we purchased the kit. I need to start planning on getting some in type trading with Frank McCutcheon the factories instructor.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

It wasn’t a good evening, my neighbor Adriana Laberto passed away today. She and her husband Sal have both been fighting cancer. She lost the battle this morning. My prayers go out for her. She was a avid supporter of this great country. She always worked the voting polls as long as I have lived in this area. She will be missed by many. May she Rest In Peace!

This evening I drove out to the airport and detrashed the fiberglass lay up. Once I got the carbon fiber layup detrashed, I cut out the wing cuffs drilled the holes for the zip ties to hold it in place while the epoxy cures. I didn’t try bonding it because it was too cold. I’ll attack that task tomorrow. While cutting out the cuffs I noticed the epoxy for the hinder interfaces had yet to cure very tacky. I arranged the elevator and vertical stabilizer on the table and put the curing box over it. I placed the space heater in the box to warm it up, then put in a 100 watt heater aka lamp, closed the box and headed home. It will be cured in the morning.
AV8R Paul
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I agree that the paint scheme is gonna look badass!

Super nice build, keep it up. Should be a premo SuperSTOL.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. Way too much cancer in this world ...

Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

av8rps wrote:I agree that the paint scheme is gonna look badass!

Super nice build, keep it up. Should be a premo SuperSTOL.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. Way too much cancer in this world ...

Paul
Paul
I really like the silver Oratex with the Plum Crazy Purple metallic, the metallic blends it with the silver.
I’ll agree with you on there is too much cancer, to date I have won my fight with it. Thanks for the kind comments.

AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

What kind of paint are you using?

How does it affect the Oratex finish?

Will it shrink with fabric?
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

BDA wrote:What kind of paint are you using?

How does it affect the Oratex finish?

Will it shrink with fabric?
If you go look at Bobby Breeden’s airplane it is covered with Olive Drab Oratex, Bobby wanted black but Oratex at the time did not offer Black Oratex. They painted the Oratex Black to get him the black paint. According to Lars it added a total of 1 1/2 lbs to the plane. You just paint directly on the Oratex, no UV Protection and no primer.
https://backcountrypilot.org/community/ ... n/profiled

I not sure which paint Chris is using, I will have to check. Painting is one of the reasons I decided to go with a Builders Assist Program. I draw the line at paint, I have painted 2 cars, never again!

I don’t believe it shrinks the fabric, and all you do is scuff up the paint with Scotch-Brite and clean then paint.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I officially have a Registered Plane JA35 SuperSTOL Stretch N357TX. Im surprised they registered it considering it’s still not complete. As much grief as the FAA puts you through in dotting all the I's and crossing all the T's, you would think they could copy your name and spell it correctly. I get to call them Monday to fix their problem.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well yesterday evening I completed all of the Leading Edge Cuffs. I got the leading Edge put on the Rudder, now to start the finishing process to I going to start using the SuperFil. I doing the filling with Aeropoxy Light but I don't care for that product, and it is quite old, and it doesn't seem to cure properly. I need to full the imperfections and creases caused by the vacuum bagging plastic. You can see some of the Aeropoxy Light on the left side Horizontal Stabilizer.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today I started work on the trim hinge interface, it is turning out really well. I was a little concerned with doing this but I’m really happy with it.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I just got back from the airport. SuperFil. If you need to use a filler material and your choices are Aeropoxy Light versus SuperFil, I would recommend you throw the Aeropoxy Light in the trash, and use the SuperFil. It is much easier to mix, & apply. Once it cutes I can tell you about sandability.
AV8R Paul
gkremers
Veteran Member

Super Fill

Post by gkremers »

Paul,
I've built 3 planes. The first one was all composite (pre peg) so got really familiar with Super Fill. It's an excellent filler and sands very well. The only real downside is it takes a long time to cure vs something like Bondo. If your working in cooler temps you may find it doesn't trowel on smoothly. Simple solution is to heat it up with a hair dryer for a minute or two, makes the application much easier. I used it on all the fiberglass (and wood) parts to fill seams, glass layups, match cowls, wing tanks, etc...

I enjoy seeing your updates, keep them coming

Gary
DSC_0172.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0162.JPG
DSC_0163.JPG
DSC_0170.JPG
DSC_0252.JPG

Return to “Just Aircraft”