electric fuel pump

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

electric fuel pump

Post by scubarider »

What do you guys think of adding an electric fuel pump for the 912S ?
:?:
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Wes
Premium Member

Electric Fuel Pump

Post by Wes »

Dennis,
I added a Facet in-line pump (see pic) just because I am anal about fuel systems, - don't know if I really need it or if it will even work! (too much restriction in the fuel line, etc) The intent would be to make sure that I didn't need it for "normal operation" and I'd only switch it on when it seemed like a good idea (take-off, landing, loss of engine pump, etc.).
The only caution for a Rotax 912 installation, is make sure the pump output pressure is low. I think 5 psi is max. allowed on Rotax carbs.
I don't have motor yet, so all is unverified.

Wes
Kit #95
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Don't feel too bad about it Dude, I'm using TWO electric fuel pumps in my Suzuki application...
scubarider
Veteran Member

fuel pump

Post by scubarider »

I think that I will get a fuel pump.  It does have a low restriction on psi.  I will mount it on the firewall engine side.  I think folks have just left it on all the time.  Anyone have any problems doing this?
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Dennis,
 I am reading through all of the 912 threads that
show up from the search box, and I saw this old
thread.

Did you add this pump? And does it work as intended?
Would you do it again?

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

FWIW, I also added an electric fuel pump and it is located in the inside of my firewall in a verticle position with the fuel line coming under the floorboard and sweeping up into it.  The line then sweeps back to a panel mounted fuel shutoff before reversing course to the engine.  

I use it every time I start the engine to get my fuel pressure up to about 3.5lbs of pressure and that assures me I have fuel in the lines leading into the engine.  My fuel pressure device is located just before entering the carbs.

I don't advocate that my way is the way to use one but it works like a charm every start.  I guess it carried over from Pipers.  I haven't needed it for anything yet and I don't use it for takeoffs or landings but if my fuel pressure light ever comes on I wanted to have another way to force as much fuel inline as I could to try to avoid starvation.  That seems to be a very common cause of accidents in general.

The manual does state a max pressure of something around 5lbs. (don't know exact#).

I'm sure it is overkill but one of those things I wanted to have.

Paul, PA
Paul, PA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis,
I also put a facet pump in my system and used the configuration rotax recommends in their latest rev of their installation manual. I had to find the latest version online. They recommend using a check valve and by-pass in the event the backup electric pump somehow plugs.  I'll post pics when I get home tomorrow.

steve
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Yes, I did end up installing the electric fuel pump.  Would I do it again?....probably.  To date though, I have not found it necessary.  My Rotax starts right up without it.  I have never used it during take-offs and landings.  But, knowing that it is there if I should need it is always a good feeling.  I check it by turning it on now and again to make sure it still is working ok.  
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Which pumps did you guys buy,
and how much do they cost?

Thanks!

John

b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Facet and the cost was about $35 but the two ends that screw in (not included with mine) were like another $10 and I got them from Wicks I believe.  Today you may find a new version that has the ends included or at least the correct threads.

Paul, PA
Paul, PA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I bought mine from Aircraft Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... tpumps.php' P/N 40106
Works great when I turn it on, I have  a fuel pressure gauge and it brings the pressure right up to Rotax's recommended PSI.

Steve
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Thanks Guys.

That seems like some very affordable peace
of mind!

John

stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

here is a picture of the my bypass setup based on my interpretation of rotax's recommended configuration.  The 90 degree bends aren't the most desirable config but it all the room I had left.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”