How have you registered your aircraft?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tazz

AB vs. ELSA

Post by Tazz »

When I bought my kit I was told it was ELSA compliant. Now I find out Just has not done the necessary paper work with the FAA for the kits to be ELSA. I began to wonder how it could qualify for ELSA given all the problems with the assembly instructions, since you have to follow the instructions to the letter for ELSA. Have spoken with Troy and Tim on this and have been told "they are looking into it", whatever that might mean. :twisted:
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

tazz

Post by scubarider2 »

Tazz,  I know there was a problem for some getting ELSA.  I know the difficulty for most really was not that much a problem if the DAR worked with them prior to the January 31st deadline {the first one}.  Have not heard from others caught in the middle right now, but if you have it registered with the FAA then of course you fall under the extension.  I also called when I was going through mine.  There is some paperwork JA must complete.  There is also a form that the DAR will give you to have JA complete.  
How close are you to finishing your project?
Dennis
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

For what it is worth, to date NO kit mfg. has gotten their packages E-LSA certified and I don’t expect that you will ever see one.  The legal liability would be HUGE and the insurance ramifications to cover same PROHIBITIVE!!  Up to 40% of the cost of a new Part 23 aircraft is the cost of the contingent liability insurance premium that the manufacturer has to buy to cover idiots from pranging their airplane and killing themselves due to their own negligence.  And you can’t blame them in today’s litigious society.  I remember years ago hearing of a FBO who was sued when they tried to keep a drunken pilot from taking off from their field by pulling the fuel truck onto the runway.  Not only did the family of that dead drunken pilot who ran right into that parked truck sue the FBO, but they sued Cessna and EXxon as well...and were successful!!  You can’t expect any of these small LSA kit manufacturers to risk everything by certifying their kits for anything else other than AB certification.  I really don’t know how any of these manufacturers can certify S-LSA either, for that same liability/insurance concern.  Those of use who were able to get our aircraft certified E-LSA prior to the Jan. 31st deadline were able to do so through a very large loophole that the FAA never envisioned.  This classification was primarily to allow the “fat ultra lights” to become “legal” and was really never meant to cover “home builts” which the FAA really wants to stay within the 51%, AB rule.  We few that were able to certify “A” were lucky due to the timing of our kit completion.  But don’t expect that small “one man operations” like Just Aircraft will ever stick their neck out by certifying their kits under “E”.  Just one accident and resultant claim for damages could put them out of business.   And if they ever were able to buy the necessary liability insurance, we would never be able to afford their kits.  Just my thoughts on the subject.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Just FYI, You can still get your Highlander ELSA certification if you meet the criteria and follow the instructions defined on this EAA web page: http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/tra ... craft.html.   I received my exemption letter stating that I have until 1/31/2010 to complete my airworthiness certification process.

Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”