Cowling Fitting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Cowling Fitting

Post by scubarider »

Was wondering if there is any advice out there on fitting the cowling for a Rotax 912S.  I have been waiting for the prop and spinner to come in to fit the cowling as far forward as possible due to the exhaust.  Any suggestions, problems etc. would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

if you're not using an airbox you shouldn'h have any trouble with length, however I wouldn't trim the back edges of the upper and lower cowling or boot cowl until you know for sure the length you need. The front of the cowl should be set back about an inch from the front of the prop hub.  When you have upper and lower cowling fitted and clecoed together, slide it on to the engine and work on the placement of the boot cowl. It all goes together pretty well and you should have plenty of clearance in the Highlander cowl for the Sorenson or Toucan exhaust as long as you aren't using an airbox. I'm currently having a length issue with my cowl hitting the front exhaust pipes of the Sorenson exhaust because of the requirement to push the 912 forward about an 1.5" to accomodate the airbox.  JA is now extending the 912S cowl molds about 2" to accomodate the airbox.  
Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”