Service Bulletin SB-912-056UL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Service Bulletin SB-912-056UL

Post by b1x4nqb »

I just checked my engine gearbox S/N as well as the engine S/N and both seem to tell me my engine needs a new gearbox per the mandatory SB.  I already replaced the fuel pump when I first received it about 9 months ago.  A few other minor bulletins in between.  It still sits bolted to the base it came on, down in the basement and I'm having to build a file just for engine Bulletins.  I e-mailed Lockwood just for one last chance it somehow didn't effect my engine.  I watched their video on removing the gearbox to send it back and it is a major ordeal with special tools required.  I'm starting to get cranky with ROTAX!!!  

Better luck with you guys.

Paul, PA
Gary H
Veteran Member

engine

Post by Gary H »

My Jabiru is looking better all the time!!  :)
Will fly for food!!
scubarider
Veteran Member

me too

Post by scubarider »

Hey Paul, I got to check my numbers as well and probably will need the same.  My engine has not been cranked yet.  Hopefully tomorrow.  We don't have a Rotax Center anywhere around here so you know what that means.  Do it yourself---having to buy tools etc.  At least with Rotax they have service bulletins and care enough to let us know when there is a problem in the field.   :?
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Well my engine does qualify and here is Lockwoods response.

"Go to www.rotax-owner.com.  Click on "Support", then go to the bottom left button labeled "Video..."  .  This is the video which details the repair which needs to be done.  If you are comfortable with doing the work yourselves, we can send you the documentation and the replacement parts.  If you do not want to do the work yourselt, please fill out the attached claim form and send it in with the gearbox and other listed parts and we will repair it for you free of charge.

Regards,

Tisha"
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I just removed and boxed up the gearbox for the return to Lockwood for the gear set.

The only way to do this is to remove the gearbox and send it to them.  There is too much involved in changing the prop shaft gear.  

I built the tool to attach to the slide hammer to pull off the housing.  As soon as I am back up and running, I will be happy to loan out the tool.  I just had a friend with a plasma cutter cut out the pattern as they have indicated on the tool list, and then went to the local hardware store, found a nut that fit the end of a slide hammer, and welded it on.  The tool is not pretty, but worked just fine.

I did not need to find a deepwell socket.  A standard depth, 1 5/8" socket worked.  I heated the nut with a heat gun a put a long cheater pipe on the ratchet and the nut came right off.  

Not a huge deal to take it apart, and that sounds like the hard part.

The gears looked just like new ones, no visible problem.  I guess that is good.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

lucky

Post by scubarider »

I am one of the lucky ones I guess.  I missed the numbers by a few hundred.  But, will wait for the next one to come out and I am sure I will be included!
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Wes
Premium Member

Gearbox Mod

Post by Wes »

Well, I guess I was grinning too much when the original version of the bulletin (SB-912-056-UL) came out and I escaped!
The R-1 version (Aug 5 2008) got me!
So yesterday I loaded the 912ULS, still in it's shipping box, into the bed of my truck and made the 3 hr. drive to Lockwood in Sebring. Those guys in the engine shop really know their stuff and are good people to deal with. They had the suspect gears swapped with a new set in less than an hour and I was on my way.
The cutoff for Rotax to pay for the work is advertised as Oct 31, 2008, although the SB says Nov 30, 2008.
Here's some pics from the swapout.

Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Wes,
I can't seem to find the R1 dated Aug 5, 2008 for service bulletin SB-912-056-UL on the Rotax owner site.  Where did you see it?

Steve
Wes
Premium Member

Revised Service Bulletin from Rotax

Post by Wes »

Steve,
I didn't think to check the Rotax owners site.
I received mine in an email forwarded by the Just folks.
I attached a pdf copy of the R1 for the ULS and S engines.
The circles S/N's are my group of engines and gearboxes.

Let me know if you need more info,  -  hope yours is not listed!

Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Thanks for PDF. That's really interesting that Just Aircraft has it but the Rotax owers site doesn't.  I just checked the site again and that revision isn't on it.

Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”