Ready for covering

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Ready for covering

Post by Uwe Jens »

After a long time and some work, I am ready to start with the covering.  If anyone has any suggestions before I start, just to make sure if I missed something.  I am attaching some pics on the actual process.
Uwe/.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider
Veteran Member

superflite

Post by scubarider »

If you are using the superflite materials I would recommend lots of really lite coats of glue.  Sharp scissors.  When done after heating to the full temp. cover whole surface with lite mixture of glue/mek.  Small iron around the edges.  Helps having two people to do the long lengths...hold tight and drop down, starting on one end and working toward the other.  Watch the edges with the tapes...double stroke the tips.  That's about all I can remember right now.  
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Uwe,

Funny to see your pics.  I just a few hours ago picked up a few of those graphite switch covers from an auto parts store.  I have a similar layout for my panel as well.  Good minds think alike!!!  Looks real nice.  For your glueing, I would suggest keeping the glue thin also and applying lots of layers.  Also, I found the cheap .79 cent walmart brushes work great and last forever vs. the nice $5 horsehair brushes.  Kep a few plastic jars with lids for covering up unused mixture.  once you get too many layers on the wall of the jar from whipping your brush just let it dry and peel off the glue, stick back in gallon jug and it will dissolve back in.  Glue saved.  I also found Penciling lines down helped keep glue lines nice and clean looking.  Finally, advice I got almost too late myself.  Cut your wing fabric and you will have enough from their leading or trailing edge (depending which side you cut off) to do the aelerons and flaps with.  Hope this helps.  Oh, and definetly use two people for the fuselage to help get to peoples opinions on getting it straight as you tack it down.  The upshoot on the top center aluminum stringer is nothing more than a series of small cuts brought in right next to each other to get the fabric to sit right.  But get everyting in place and straight before cutting these.

Good luck,

Paul, PA
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Uwe,

I like the look of your airspeed indicator.  I'm not sure if it is the photo or the instrument but I can read it from this angle clearly and it is clean looking.  Who is the manufacturer of your instruments?  

Thanks,
Paul
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Paul,
This instrument I bought from Aircraft Spruce P/N 10-02915 Falcon Airspd 3-1/8  0-120mp, it is not the better one but it is OK,I have used it on the past and not have a problem with it.
Regards Uwe/.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Spinner

Post by Gary H »

Like the spinner, where did you get that?
Gary
Will fly for food!!
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Gary, the spinner I bought from Spruce and the p/n is 05-13200 (SN-4 Spinner Kit),I bought this because is undrilled and I was not sure the pattern of the  propeller  holes.  Depending on the distance between the cowling and the propeller you can use a front attachment plate or rear attachment plate.  I used a rear attachment plate, I have about 1/2 inch aprox in between the spinner flange and the cowling.  I hope it is enough.
Regards Gary,
Uwe/. :)
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

uwe

Post by scubarider2 »

Uwe,  I noticed in your pictures that you have the motor mounted already and your panel.  Are you going to remove everything to cover?  Just curious.
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”