Linseed oil inside of airframe tubes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Linseed oil inside of airframe tubes

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I've read of guys drilling a few small holes in major tubes and putting a liter or two of linseed or other anticorrosion oil inside the airframes of tube & fabric planes like ours (especially seaplanes) then tilting the airframe upside down & every which way and letting it sit, tilt another way, etc. for about a week. Then drain and seal holes with screws.

At least in the major tubes, I'm thinking it sounds like a good idea for airframe longevity.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Chances are with or without Linsead oil in the powder coated frame the highlander's will most likely out-live the planes usefulnees before corrosion takes it. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me, also the fact you'd be drilling a bunch of hole in the airframe would probably compromise it more than moisture.  :)

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:Chances are with or without Linsead oil in the powder coated frame the highlander's will most likely out-live the planes usefulnees before corrosion takes it. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me, also the fact you'd be drilling a bunch of hole in the airframe would probably compromise it more than moisture.  :)

Steve
The guy building my float legs mentioned the other day that I should coat the inside of the airframe with one of the "penetrant oils" that apparently will creep all through the airframe, even uphill, and said a liter will do 2 planes. AS has the creeping, anti -corrosive penetrants for sale but no one knew anything about them. More research to do...
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:
stede52 wrote:Chances are with or without Linsead oil in the powder coated frame the highlander's will most likely out-live the planes usefulnees before corrosion takes it. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me, also the fact you'd be drilling a bunch of hole in the airframe would probably compromise it more than moisture.  :)

Steve
The guy building my float legs mentioned the other day that I should coat the inside of the airframe with one of the "penetrant oils" that apparently will creep all through the airframe, even uphill, and said a liter will do 2 planes. AS has the creeping, anti -corrosive penetrants for sale but no one knew anything about them. More research to do...
Yep, all the responses from owners & A&Ps are saying to definately coat the inside with boiled linseed oil or other anticorrosive of choice, even in "dry" climates. One guy in a dry climate reported total rust through of the horizontal stabs in an unprotected 1979 Citabria, amazing.

Still researching techniques. A few small, strategic holes to allow forced air to propel the anti-corrisive is one way...
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re:

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Steve
Yep, all the responses from owners & A&Ps are saying to definately coat the inside with boiled linseed oil or other anticorrosive of choice, even in "dry" climates. One guy in a dry climate reported total rust through of the horizontal stabs in an unprotected 1979 Citabria, amazing.

Still researching techniques. A few small, strategic holes to allow forced air to propel the anti-corrisive is one way...
Has anyone been doing this on their builds??
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Linseed oil inside of airframe tubes

Post by danerazz »

I hate to say it, but I don’t know if my plane will be around in 40 years to worry about it. I probably won’t.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

danerazz wrote:I hate to say it, but I don’t know if my plane will be around in 40 years to worry about it. I probably won’t.

Yep!
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I called the factory on this, was told dont bother.

BUT

Here in Alaska the first thing you check when you buy a plane is the lower longeron then the gear legs for internal corrosion.

The wall gets thin from the inside and fails when you land.

You cant see it, hard to monitor.

So I will put it in
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”