Rotax Air Filter

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Wes
Premium Member

Rotax Air Filter

Post by Wes »

ALL,
Just looking for experience on Air Filters for the Rotax.
Since it looks like I won't be using the Rotax intake box, cause it won't fit!
The filters I see on most installations are the cone shaped K&N (don't know the P/N) and the clearance between the fire wall is pretty tight, at least on the left side.
When I ordered the firewall foreward package form Just, they sent the K&N filters (P/N SP-2706) shown in the photo that are a whole lot shorter than the cone shaped ones. It would seem these flatter filters would be better (more firewall clearance). They called and said they sent me the wrong filters, but right now I don't see the problem with them.
Anybody have any objections?

Wes
Kit #95
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Post by 082 »

Wes,
No objections but I can share some insight on sizing K&N's (and other filters).
On all carbureted normally aspirated engines, there is a "stand off" of fuel mixed air that occurs just outside air intake to the carb.  This stand off is approximately the same distance away from the carb as the diameter of the carb opening.  If you interrupt this stand off it disrupts the air flow thru the carb, reduces flow, and bottom line eats HP.  Due to this event the filter should stand off the carb at least the diameter of the carb intake.  On many installations clearance makes this impossible. One of the many compromises we make building these machines.
FWIW,
Dan 082
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

The one in the photo probably won't clear the oil tank if you mount it on the firewall behind the engine.

Dave
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

right

Post by scubarider2 »

Dave is right.  The oil tank will not fit where "most" install it which is in the middle on the firewall.  I would suggest getting the two cone shaped filters.  I am sure Just will send them to you.  Worth the wait.
Dennis
Wes
Premium Member

Filters

Post by Wes »

OK,
I did some more mockup stuff and as shown in the pics, the clearances from filters looks OK.
I did Dave's measure of 7 1/8 from the left carb lip to an imaginary firewall and it looks tight, but do-able.
I also checked the carb inlet diameter(~ 1 3/4 in) and there is about 2 in of open area inside these flat filters.
So right now I don't see a problem.

How do you like my Tupperware tank mount?

Did everybody build their own tanks mount brackets, or are they available some place?

Thanks,

Wes

Kit #95
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

looking at the overhead view, I do not think it will fit that way.  I had to remove the black plastic stator cover and the oil tank then sits just off the bolt under the cover, much closer to the pilot side carb.  

If you have a shimmed out mount, or altered the brackets it may work.  There was not that much room on my application.

DAve
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Wes,
I found an overhead shot of the installed parts on my bird.  Here it is, and as you can see it is tight.

DAve
Wes
Premium Member

Oil Tank vs Air Filter Fit

Post by Wes »

Dave,
Thanks for the photo, that explains a lot.
I new it was going to be a tight fit to get that oil tank back there where I want it.
I need to go ahead and get some of these pieces bolted up on the front of the airplane and
quit agonizing!
Got to get some painting finished first.

Thanks again,

Wes
Kit # 95
Gerald V9

Post by Gerald V9 »

Wes,
    Something for those going through the rotax installation process.  There are old and new oil tanks out there.  So when you go to order nipples for your oil tanks make sure to verify wether you need old style (male) or new style (female) AN fittings.  It only eats up a few more days when you make the wrong order.  The catalogs may not list/indicate the new part numbers.
                                                                                             Good Luck,  Gerald V9
Wes
Premium Member

Oil Tank fitting

Post by Wes »

Gerald - many Thanks for the tip,
Do you know the Rotax service letter or instruction that spells that out?

Thanks,

Wes
Kit # 95
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

mee tooo

Post by scubarider2 »

I did the same thing.  I ordered the firewall forward kit and received the WRONG fittings.  Luckily, I got the right fittings with the engine.  Used them and all is right with the world.   8)
Gerald V9

Post by Gerald V9 »

Wes,
   Sorry, but no idea of any service letter or instruction from Rotax.  To throw something else out there, my engine doesn't quite look like yours either.  My engine was ordered through the boys at Cornell Aeroworks from LEAF and it arrived with fully firesleeved fuel lines to the fuel pump and then to the carbs.  The manifold pressure equalizer was detailed somewhat differently. Oil sump and oil pump fittings were the AN style.  And the oil resevoir came with no fittings, which lead me down the road to finding out about the "new" oil can.
                                                          Good Luck,    Gerald V9
Wes
Premium Member

Oil Line Fittings

Post by Wes »

Well, after finally checking into the oil line fittings, I find I have the wrong type! (see pic)
I did some research into Rotax doc's and found the info in SI-912-003, "Oil Line Conections with UNF Threads".
Apparently back in May of 2000, Rotax bowed to the American market and introduced a 3/4-16 UNF flared fitting as an alternate to the standard metric fitting which has the opposite flare (male vs female).
My oil tank was supplied with metric fittings and the oil drain and pump output fittings are both hose barbs. The firewall foreward kit supplied the UNF flare fittings shown.
So, what I think I will do is order the metric elbow fittings that will mate with the oil tank and swap out the hose barbs on the engine for UNF flare fittings that will mate with the FF package supplied fittings. I prefer the flare connections over the hose barb, just because I know I will be taking these things apart and I have fond memories (and the knuckle scars) of removing old hoses from barbed fittings on the boat!
Hope this helps.

Wes
Kit #95 - still spraying
Kit # 95
arlyn9391

Re: Rotax Air Filter

Post by arlyn9391 »

Wes wrote:ALL,
Just looking for experience on Air Filters for the Rotax.
Since it looks like I won't be using the Rotax intake box, cause it won't fit!
The filters I see on most installations are the cone shaped K&N (don't know the P/N) and the clearance between the fire wall is pretty tight, at least on the left side.
When I ordered the firewall foreward package form Just, they sent the K&N filters (P/N SP-2706) shown in the photo that are a whole lot shorter than the cone shaped ones. It would seem these flatter filters would be better (more firewall clearance). They called and said they sent me the wrong filters, but right now I don't see the problem with them.
Anybody have any objections?

Wes
Kit #95
An air filter is a device which removes solid particulates such as dust, pollen, mold, and bacteria from the air. That Rotax Air Filter is great. It helps a lot.

Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I would say we have a new member that joined to spam the list...
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh

Return to “Just Aircraft”