Painting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Painting

Post by b1x4nqb »

I'm getting ready for the painting process and was wondering what you guys did for fresh air?  Did you use a breather unit or just a face mask?  I find the $1k units that are hvlp are really expensive for one paint job but cool for my lungs.  Just wondering what set ups you guys have or will be using?

Thanks,
Paul, PA

Post by 082 »

Which paint are using? What does the manufacturer recomment, mask or fresh air?
Dan
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I know the polytone and Stuart Systems (water based) require only a good respirator mask. The aerothanes top coats and superflite system require a fresh air system which is the case for most two part urethane paints except for the water based systems. I happen to have a turbine paint compressor which comes with a fresh air attachment.

Steve
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I was going to go with Poly Fiber but am sticking with Superflite.  They recommend a fresh air system but I know of at least 1 person who used just a mask.  I'd like to find a place that rents the combo units but can't find anyone online that does.  Their about a grand to buy and having never painted before, I am having a hard time justifying the cost for a one time project.  

Also, is it wise to paint in an attached garage with those nasty isocyanates (spelling?) being right next door?  I plan to add the plastic, a fan and filter etc. but wanted your opinions.  I like it in there because the temperature is nice and regulated.  My workshop is very moody and has gotten up to 90 degrees already this spring on warm days.  Down to the 40's at night.  Also, I have 2 young kids, the wife, a dog, etc. to be concerned about.  

Paul, PA

Post by 082 »

I have a turbine system that allows for fresh air. I love it.  For many years I used a conventional spray gun for the nasty 2 parts.  I've had chemical pneumonia twice from painting without the fresh air setup while using a mask.  I would not paint in an attached garage. (I have, but I was single at the time)  It is near impossible to keep the fumes out of the house.
I've painted friends projects.  They did all the prep, I went over and did the paint, they bought the beer.  Check with your EAA chapter. You might find someone to help you out.
Dan
pdeinin

Post by pdeinin »

Has anyone paid a paint shop to paint their aircraft? Can a typical paint shop handle the job or do you have to find someone used to aircraft?  I would like to know what a reasonable cost might be and whether there are any other issues.  My only other option is to build a paint booth on my front lawn.
Prescott
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Painting fabric is a little different than painting cars, or metal airplanes, but not a lot different. It's pretty simple to do, as long as you follow the application instructions and steps correctly. If you decide to build a paint booth, check out the link below, where you can purchase a tarp type tent garage. They work really well for this. I have seen them at Sam's Club for $150 - $200. Once your done using it as a paint booth, you can use it as a tool shed, car storage shed, or just sell it on Craig's List.

http://www.screen-house.com/harnios_xr_12.htm

Stan
www.justkitplanes.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”