Kit #121

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Post by dauckjl »

Thanks for the update...

Yep, definitely a very nice paint job.  Hope the building continues to go well.

Justin
Lynng
Veteran Member

decal

Post by Lynng »

are you planning to put the highlander decal on the tail?? :wink:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Decals

Post by b1x4nqb »

Lynn,

"Just" colors go with it almost perfectly.  Was considering on putting the word Highlander in place of Just Aircraft with the mountains above it.  I'm also planning on my N-Number below it.  My source for vinyl doesn't think he can get a match to my paint color so I'm considering painting it on.  Looking for Blue numbers and red shadow to match the plane.  Just standard Superflite colors but maybe an odd match to vinyl?  

Paul, PA
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

Paul,

The guy I used in for my tail decals is right near the factory.  Maybe Troy can remember his name and give you a number.  He should be able to ship you the decals for the tail if I remember correctly he was really cheap and I did have him make a left and right side so your sweep is oriented to your stripe.  I will look in my records and see if I can find him.

Lynn
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Panel shot

Post by b1x4nqb »

Thought I would give an update on the progress.  Man things seems slow!  Feels like 90% more left.  Every little thing seems to take me twice as long.

Paul, PA
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Fired up!

Post by b1x4nqb »

Ran the engine for the first time yesterday and it ran great.  I don't think the prop spun one revolution before it was running.  Seems to stop the same way, almost instantaneously.  I guess thats the ROTAX way.  Not what I'm use to in the lycomings and continentals.  They seem to spin a bit to both start and stop.  Learned a few things and still have an RPM issue with my EIS, seems to be about 1/2 to 1/3 slow.  It is wired into an electronic gizmo before the eis and I may have a wire placed wrong, etc.  Otherwise it is motivating to hear it purr.  My kids loved standing in the rear propwash and trying to stay upright.  They wanted it to go on for much longer.

Paul, PA
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

If you're starting the engine, you're getting close!

Yeah the Rotax is a bit different. It was a bit disconcerting at first when it stopped so fast, and with the Kiev prop at least, it makes a "Whack" sound....
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
Wes
Premium Member

Engine First RUN

Post by Wes »

Paul,
Congrats' on the first engine run! That means you must have gotten all those wires in the right place.
Well maybe with the exception of the tach?
If you check out all the tach wires and they seem to go to the right places, maybe check grounds and shielding since the tach signal is a fast pulse, it may be getting noise in the signal to the EIS.

Way-to-go! on the engine.

Trying to get the wing control surfaces rigging started.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Found that the tach runs off my dual yellow generator wires, not the provided tach wires off the engine.  My unit is from I-K technologies.  Once I connected them, I got normal readings.  With my prop I only got up to 4500 RPM's so I'll lower the pitch later on to get more.  The Kiev prop gauge is not very accurate.  Any idea what max MP is on the 912uls?  With max throttle and 4500rpm I was up to 29 inches of MP.  

I want my extra standard hobbs to run only when the engine is running but I cannot fit a pressure gauge on the front of the oil pump in the spare fitting.  Any ideas??

I cut my windshield today and will finish it off tomorrow.  Cut it with a standard jigsaw.  Took my time and got a nice smooth cut.  

Paul, PA
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

I used the pressure switch that Lockwood sells, but I had to go to the hardwae store and buy a 90 adapter. It was a snug fit but it worked after trimming most of the inside flange (per Troy's instructions). I can send a picture if you need one
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Taxi Test

Post by b1x4nqb »

Taxi tested it today and she handles better than I thought it would.  I love the sound!  Weighed in at 695lbs.  I still have the data plate, some cotter pins, etc. but she is finally about done.  Next step is to send the DAR the W&B sheets and get him out here!  Here is a pic my son took from a camera phone with me giving my wife a ride around the yard.  It was flurrying while we taxied.

UPDATE:  DAR is coming Friday 11/21 to look it over.

Gary H
Veteran Member

Tires

Post by Gary H »

Looking good, I like your tires, what size & brand are they? Where did you get them... All these questions I know but I may just have to have some!!
Gary
Will fly for food!!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Taxi Test

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Looking great, congratulations!
b1x4nqb wrote:Taxi tested it today and she handles better than I thought it would.  I love the sound!  Weighed in at 695lbs.  I still have the data plate, some cotter pins, etc. but she is finally about done.  Next step is to send the DAR the W&B sheets and get him out here!  Here is a pic my son took from a camera phone with me giving my wife a ride around the yard.  It was flurrying while we taxied.

UPDATE:  DAR is coming Friday 11/21 to look it over.

b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Hi Gary,

They are Goodyear 26x10.5-6 smooth tubeless tires.  I paid an additional $800 and ordered them up front from "Just" with my kit.  They are the same as the ones on their blue Highlander with the 3300 in it.  I think Billy might have just gotten a set so he may know a better deal.  

Thanks,
Paul
Wes
Premium Member

Taxi Tests

Post by Wes »

Paul,
Way to go on the taxi tests, - Good looking airplane! All that 'wee-hours' painting paid off!
I'll get there someday.

Let us know how the initial tests go.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”