Kit #79 First Highlander on Baumann Floats???

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Howler

Kit #79 First Highlander on Baumann Floats???

Post by Howler »

Hello everyone,

New to this forum, didn't even know it existed!  We finished our highlander last year, but just recently rigged up a set of Baumann 1420s hoping that spring will come to Minnesota!  May 3rd and almost all of the lakes north of us are still ice covered. Attached are some pictures, but we have since put striping to match on the floats.  We use a pontoon trailer to get it to the water...  Works great.

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Looks great!
We're doing Full Lotus 1650s.
Can you tell me your measurement between the forward spreader bar brackets?
Thanks
Howler

Post by Howler »

Thanks! I can't remember that measurement and I'll try to remember to get it to you, but I do know for sure that from keel to keel it is 75 inches.  When sitting on the pontoon trailer it is just under the legal limit for trailering.  Something you may want to keep in mind if you ever want to pull it.  We flew it on Sunday and monday, it performs beautifully. Full fuel, two of us, glassy water and it was off no more than 10 seconds.  No porpousing, or plowing.  Goes right to the sweet spot and lifts off the water around 35 to 40 mph.  What an awesome aircraft we have!
RHau

Highlander on Floats

Post by RHau »

What is the height at the top of the tail when configured with floats? Anyone have amphib floats? What is the maximum height of that configuration?  I'm planning on garage storage and need to build a door high enough to accommodate an aircraft on amphibs.

I have no kit yet. The Highlander seems to meet most of my requirements so far... hoping to do a demo flight this week and see from there.

This is a great forum!

Rainer
Lowandslow

Post by Lowandslow »

The aircraft you see above ^ which we previously had on baumann straights is now on Czech amphibs. The height from the floor to the top of the tail is about 9' 10".  It all depends on how long you make your struts and the angle of attack you set the aircraft at.  I'll attach a picture....sorry for the bad quality cell phone camera.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RHau

Post by RHau »

Thanks for the info.  Nice looking aircraft.

Rainer
RHau

Post by RHau »

Thanks for the info.  Nice looking aircraft.

Rainer
cibad

Post by cibad »

I,m getting ready to put my Highlander on amphibs as well and was wondering how the performance was compared to the straight floats. Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance for the reply.
Lowandslow

Post by Lowandslow »

like most amphibs compared to straight floats they don't perform quite as well only because of the extra weight.  However, we love how it flies and performs and we are more than happy with how it turned out.
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

They look awesome, I am putting amphibs on my wish list for next year.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Lowandslow

Post by Lowandslow »

Thank you!  We really do have too much fun with this airplane.  Amphibs are a great thing to have on your wishlist!
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Kit #79 First Highlander on Baumann Floats???

Post by gkremers »

Hi all,
I'd like to build a Highlander and eventually put it on amphibs. With the 912S can someone tell me what the realistic empty and gross weight will be. Can you fit 2 people (350lbs) with full fuel and still be under gross.

Thanks in advance,
Gary
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re:

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Lowandslow wrote:The aircraft you see above ^ which we previously had on baumann straights is now on Czech amphibs. The height from the floor to the top of the tail is about 9' 10".  It all depends on how long you make your struts and the angle of attack you set the aircraft at.  I'll attach a picture....sorry for the bad quality cell phone camera.

How would the "Czech amphibs" be compared to Zenair amphibs ?
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:How would the "Czech amphibs" be compared to Zenair amphibs ?
Ken Smith at Harbour Sport Aviation is a great resource with a lot of experience for all float related questions for our class of aircraft. Check out his website, some of your question is answered in the "more information" section.

Three Highlander owners in Canada built Zenair floats five years ago, Dan Oldridge still flies his Highlander on his amphibs. I really enjoy building aircraft but cannot say that building Zenair floats was much fun at all. Having said that I am flying my Zenair 1450's on a Rans S7S and it was worth the effort.

https://www.harborsportaviation.com/more-information
IMG_5275.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Agree with Jack on Harbour Sport. Ken did a great job fitting the Clamars to my Highlander. He also did the 10 hours of dual training my insurance required.

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”