bungee cords

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

bungee cords

Post by stede52 »

Just an FYI, I found out today that my "Escapade" manual for my Highlander didn't have an updated 3-7 page which describes the strut limit distance when constructing the gear safety cable. Mine saids to limit the distance to 2.5" it should be 4" according to the manual Cornell Aeroworks has which makes the safety cable longer then the stated 9" in my manual.

Steve
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Talked to Troy today about the bungee cable limiter for the gear and he said that even at 2.5" of play is enough to handle most any landing (I didn't get a really good definition of "most any landing") that is assuming the bungies are wrapped correctly :)   He clamed that going beyond that will take a pretty bad bouncing landing (again I didn't get much of a definition for "pretty bad bouncing landing"  :(  Bottomline he thinks 2.5" of limit is fine :?

Steve
Roger
Veteran Member

Safety cable

Post by Roger »

Steve:
I've lived thru just about every kind of landing, (including one upside down, not my fault) so maybe I have a tiny amount of room to offer a thought. With a tailwheel type airplane, if one bungee should break, I'm sure the pilot would want a limited amount of travel for the affected side. If that side were to drop down a large distance it would really create a serious directional problem and most likely an upset. So I think for my highlander, I'm going with the shorter distance. When Troy states a pretty bad landing, I can imagine one that drops out of the air by 5 feet or more. So there you have one old guys thoughts.
Roger
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Roger,
thanks for the experienced input, I myself have not yet flown my Highlander, but it will be soon, so this is all good info.  So in your experienced you would rather go with the 2.5" cable expansion limiter then the 4.5"? I really didn't know but I thought that maybe it wouldn't take much to stretch the bungees 2.5" and if so it would hit the cable limiter and evetually break it.  But if stretching the bungees 2.5" takes a lot more that an average landing I wouldn't worry about hitting the end limit of the cable. I just don't know and that's why I posted the information. Thanks again.

Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”