Highlander 0093 is no longer a flightless bird

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

tailwheel

Post by gme9261236 »

found the tailwheel problem,went to the matco site and looked up the scematic.if you have the 8 inch wheel look at #8 the wing pices it comes with a 45 degree wings then they have a note offering a set of 25 degrees hand grindable to 50 degres .since the rudder only travels 30 something degrees this should fix it . ill try 25 degrees tomorow and let you guys tomorow how it works i got them today. my son types much better  Glenn
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Also,  I spoke to Matco yesterday and they said the issue with the tailwheel not spinning correctly while under load for me was related to a change they made last year (8/07).  A replacement/upgrade assembly is available for $58 to provide 1/4 of the load force on the assembly from the previous version.  It also has a grease fitting and places the tailwheel in an improved position.  I ordered one yesterday and will let you know how it works once installed.  I basically have the issue with not being able to steer the bird by hand without crawling under the stabilizer and (very forcibly) twisting the wheel itself to move it.  Under load with the wings folded it is a bear!  I tried taking it apart and greasing it real good per Gary's recommendation from the factory etc. but they did nothing.  I'm still building but while putting it away I had to get an electric winch so I could focus on just steering it.  I park it in a garage door which gives me less than 6" clearance on each side while entering.

Paul, PA

Part # WHLTWBCNV
This kit includes the required components to convert to the latest model tail wheel base. This taller base unit (used on WHLT-8, WHLT-6, and WHLT-6 since August of 2007) reduces steering forces by a factor of 4. The new base has two AL-Ni-Brz bushings (old unit have only one) and also incorporates an grease fitting. The kit includes the new base unit, longer vertical axle, washers and cotter pins. Installation requires less than 15 minutes. This kit can be used on WHLT-6, WHLT-6P, or WHLT-8 models that have a tail wheel base with a single AL-Ni-Brz bushing. (Older units with nylon bushing require more extensive modification. Consult factory)

gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

an updated picture of the plane[/img]
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Great shot!  Makes me want to go flying.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Tailwheel stiffness issue

Post by b1x4nqb »

My new replacement tailwheel part arrived tonight.  Part # WHLTWBCNV.  Now it turns like a champ!  No more "stiff as a bull" to move the tailwheel.  My 9 year old even was able to get down and move it now.  Pulling it out of the hanger made it turn on it's own, a first for this plane.  It always was soo stiff it would stay backwards even once out of the place.  I was beginning to think I could fly it this way.

Paul, PA
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I was wondering how you made out with your prop changes and speed vs takeoff performance.  Looks like Dennis ended up here:

"Ok.  I spent the day repitching the prop and playing with different settings.  I finally found a good blend for me.  I get 5200rpms static (tied off).  During take-off it creeps to 5400rpms.  I can easily get 1000fpm at 60mph.  I can now cruise between 90mph and 100mph.  Much better.  Gained about 15mph and did not loose really any take off performance.
Thanks for everyone's help on this.  
Dennis"

Where did you final settle in?  How do you like the Ivo prop?

Also, does your tailwheel work better now?

Paul, PA
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I was wondering how you made out with your prop changes and speed vs takeoff performance.  Looks like Dennis ended up here:

"Ok.  I spent the day repitching the prop and playing with different settings.  I finally found a good blend for me.  I get 5200rpms static (tied off).  During take-off it creeps to 5400rpms.  I can easily get 1000fpm at 60mph.  I can now cruise between 90mph and 100mph.  Much better.  Gained about 15mph and did not loose really any take off performance.
Thanks for everyone's help on this.  
Dennis"

Where did you final settle in?  How do you like the Ivo prop?

Also, does your tailwheel work better now?

Paul, PA
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Hey Paul,
We ended up just about the same place as dennis. We get right around 5200 static RPM maybe a little closer to 5300 and in the climb it is just about between 5400 and 5500. I did notice a decrease in the takeoff distance but not a whole lot. We can still get airborn in just about 100 feet so we probably lost around 30 feet there. As for climb performance with 1 person it usually is around 1000-1100 fpm and with two we are now a bit closer to 800 or so sustained. Cruise is unknown really (did you see my airspeed problem post?) All indications and calculations point to us crusing just over 100 at 5000RPM. I really never go up to 5500 rpm so I havent really cared to check where it is at up there. 5000 RPM yields (what I believe to be) 100 give or take a few MPH and 4 GPH +-.5

The ivoprop has worked out well although as you mentioned earlier it take some getting used to when you shut down and it instantly shudders to a stop but of course that is rotax and not ivo.

Any questions at all send them downrange..I have around 45 hours in the plane now and have just enough experience to know that I dont know anything yet.

Return to “Just Aircraft”