Ecuadorian Highlander ESC 0140 ready to fly!!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Ecuadorian Highlander ESC 0140 ready to fly!!

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi guys,
Sorry for being out of the forum, but work has been really though lately.  Three weeks ago aprox.  I finished my project.  I haven´t tried it yet, because of lack of time.  Do you have any suggestions on what things I have to check before the first flight . I already did the weight and balance check and have the following:
Left wheel      315 lb
Right wheel    315 lb
Tail wheel        75 lb
Empty weight  705 lb
Full fuel          813 lb

My CG Range solo 11.12" , with two people 11.81" , and full gross weight (1320) 13.67".
I placed a Rotax 912S with toucan exhaust system, 70" three blade powerfin, a lot of gauges, strobe lights, radio, etc, etc, etc.
I run the engine and it gives me 5700 RPM on ground.  Temperatures are OK.  Oil press OK; and me, not OK. (hehehe)
COuld anyone tell me how difficult is the control of the aircraft on the ground during taxing?  I am grateful on any recommendations you guys can give me before the first flight.  Could anyone tell me the highest altitude that anyone has takeoff on a Highlander, since I operate at 8600 ft ASL.   I am finishing the hangar next to the runway, hopefully I can try the plane after it is completed.
Regards to you all,
Uwe/.

PS:  THe arrow on the panel indicates the HACMAN botton, so I can control the mixture over 10000 ft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Looking great! Best of luck on the upcoming flights.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Uwe,

You might repitch your prop to 5500 rpm or less or you will exceed redline on your first flight. Ours is set at 5100 rpm static with gives 5200 rpm on climb out. 5800 is redline for 5 minutes and then 5500 is redline for continous. On the first flight you don't want to have to worry about something as simple to prevent as too high revs.

Bye the way, really fine paint! Good work.   :D

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Thank you guys for the words.
Alan, what is the increase on the max rpm on static vs in flight?  I am a little worried on topic concerned to the altitude I operate,  the air is very light here and will need a good climb speed and rpm.  I need to be close to the max, maybe 5750 rpm for the takeoff, so later reduce to 5500 rpm to the climb. How the aircraft behaves while on the runway? (Is it docile, or uneasy?)  
Thanks,
Uwe/.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

My experience with sea level altitudes is you gain about 100 rpm above static for a 60 mph climb. Also, our Highlander is very stable, depending on stable winds, on takeoff and, if your tailwheel works properly, on landing as well. You have strong rudder and pitch control, but the roll control is less quick but still positive. She will be able to handle in excess of 20 mph direct crosswind after you get used to her. She positively loves to slip.

If you are an experienced tailwheel pilot you should have no problems.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

All of what Alan says is true, however if you are a first time tail wheel pilot like myselft the highlander is a typical short coupled taildragger which can be very twichy on hard surface runways. Minimal but continuous imput is require to keep it straight, you'll need to learn the tail wheel dance  :)

Steve
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Congrats on that beautiful plane.  Hey,,,,,just take that funny looking wheel on the back and put it on the front and "no problems"  :lol:
I am going to repitch my prop this week.  At static I am getting 5700rpms.  I am going to try and bring it back down to 5100-5200rpms and see if I can get a better cruise.
Will let you know,
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...

Return to “Just Aircraft”