Fuel Tank Issue Update

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
justaircraft
Seasoned Member

Fuel Tank Issue Update

Post by justaircraft »

We are still waiting on a response from the manufacturer of the tanks. Without confirmation from the manufacturer, we are hesitant to post any resolutions we have discovered here at the factory, we feel a more confirmed, educated resolution would be best.

We will post another update as soon as the manufacturer contacts us.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding,
Harry Berndt
Just Aircraft, LLC
Gary H
Veteran Member

tanks

Post by Gary H »

Thanks for the update Harry, I'm working on it to.
Gary
Will fly for food!!
Lynng
Veteran Member

fuel tanks

Post by Lynng »

Thanks for your efforts Harry,  We all look forward to hearing what you have found.

Lynn
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Fuel tank condition of N122ET

Post by ftcaruso »

I’ve been out of touch with what has been going on at the Just Aircraft site, since it’s been a few weeks since I last logged onto Wings Forum.  I’ve been busy with my trip around the US (http://www.haveplanewilltravel.info) and am now in Amarillo, TX.  However, after reading about the fuel tank problems, I decided that even though my engine has been running just fine, that I had better check.  My kit, #109 was delivered in July of ‘06, but because I had ordered the larger 23 gal tank option, those did not arrive until early that September.  My builder’s log show them being installed on October 14th of ‘06.  Since I began flying the Highlander in April of ‘08, this means that they had almost a year and a half for those tanks to “cure out”, with absolutely no “chemical help”.  I assume that the filler caps were in place the entire time.  I now have over 100 hours on the engine’s hobbs and have been using a mix of Avgas and non-ethanol automobile fuel with no apparent difficulty.  On Friday I changed out the fuel filter for the second time, and found it free of any debris logged on the filter paper, although the paper was a slightly darker color than that of a new filter.  Since my residual fuel was low from having the plane just transported in the trailer, I removed the caps and checked the integrity of the tanks interior.  I found it to be firm, with no evidence of any deterioration.  If any resin or fiberglass material had been leached into the fuel, it apparently has passed harmlessly through the combustion process.   While I  also would be concerned if I had found the softness of the tanks interior described in this posting, I would suspect that in time the tanks would naturally cure out.  I guess that I would certainly try the lacquer thinner approach first.  I will continue to monitor the tanks interior from time to time and will let you know of any change in conditions.

Frank
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Since my post a couple weeks back, I have had no loss of compression issues.  I thought this was due to the fact that I was no longer doing 3000 rpm taxinging and the problem had gone away....WRONG!.  After two days of flying and running the engine the way it was suppose to be run, I came back on the third day and no compression again!!! :x.  I did finally get the valves to start moving again and the compression to come up in all four cylinders after about 50 - 60 hand turns of the prop, started the engine and it ran like at top :? .  I then decide to put in the SeaFoam cleaner in the tanks (1/2 pt per tank) and filled the tanks.  I flew for about an hour after using the seafoam and I'll be flying it again in a couple days. I'm hoping the Rotax repair folks and my auto mechanic is correct in that this stuff really cleans off the build up on valve stems and guides, which is currently the problem I"m having. The reason valve stick is due to a build of residue and that can only come from from some kind of contaminate in the gas.  Fortunately I've never had an issue once the engine has been running.  I'll keep you posted on the Seafoam results.

Steve
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I also am starting to wonder if the two problems are related {the fuel tanks and no compression}.  I bought several cans of seafoam to try myself.  As soon as I get my radiator hose leak problem worked out, then off to the clouds I go to test some more.
Let's keep everyone in the loop on this matter.
Thanks,
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis,
have you felt your tanks do they feel cured or sticky?

Steve
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Spoke to Troy today and he said to run about 3 gallons of laquer thinner through them to flush them out before placing any gas in them.  Use 1 gallon at a time and then close it up, rock the wings around then drain out.  Repeat two more times and he said that sticky stuff will come right off.  Because I havn't had fuel in them yet I'm going to try this before adding any.

Paul, PA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Keep up posted Paul

Steve
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

It's getting harder to find mogas without ethenol.  I don't think it hurts a 912 but what I wonder if it's OK in our fiberglass tanks and fuel lines. I have not run any of it yet. I'm disgusted about this whole politically correct ethenol farse.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I 2nd that!!!!

Steve
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I can't find any "pure" gas around here.   :evil:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Lynng
Veteran Member

ethanol

Post by Lynng »

As far as I know from my chemistry Ethanol and Fiberglass are a bad combination and should NEVER be used.  A lot of people in with some really expensive Yachts have been ruining engines right and left.  I will be using 100LL and Aeroshell Sport 'til they stop putting SHIT in the auto fuel.

WOW did I say that with my outside voice.... :o
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Some of my fellow EAA'rs have made test kits to
check for Ethanol in gas that is advertized as "non"
Ethanol Fuel. They have found some local shops
with & without Ethanol.

Is there another "coating" that we can add to our
tanks to allow Ethanol in our aircraft? Or are
there other components (fuel lines or in the engine,
etc) that will preclude our using it, anyway?

Will non-ethanol gas go away completely?
Or will the some gas companies still make
the real stuff?

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Double post.

Sorry!
Last edited by Johnny C! on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed

Return to “Just Aircraft”