Another Ethanol discussion with recommendations for rotax

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Another Ethanol discussion with recommendations for rotax

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok, I know we have beat this discussion to death, BUT.... :o   I have done some much needed research [literature] and have called several folks "in the know" dealing with rotax engines and ethanol.  I am being told there is some damage out there already with the engines and rubber seals.  I am hearing this from rotax certified mechanics.  The several I have spoke to are recommending the change to 100LL with Aeroshell sport 4 motor oil.  Jury is still out on either a 25hr or 50 hr oil change.  From what I have read and from what these "experts" are telling me, the 100LL is much better for your engine with this oil than the ethanol additive.  I know it will hit the pocket book harder, but like one of the mechanics told me....pay me know or pay me later... :shock:
So, I say all this to say I for one will be with Lynn in Florida switching to 100LL until the issue is resolved.  
On a second note....my intake valves are "stuck" with the substance from the gas tanks.  This is what prompted me to call the the rotax mechanic to begin with.  I will keep everyone informed on how the company "Just Aircraft" plans on handling this matter.  I say this to encourage everyone to rinse your tanks well.  I will be doing this process myself even after 80 hours of gas going through.
I know this is a builders site, but I believe it is important that we continue to share this type of information so that those who come after us have the benefit of the knowledge.  I know that those who came before me helped me beyond words with my aircraft and engine.
Thanks,
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Roger
Veteran Member

Ethanol

Post by Roger »

Dennis:
You have my gratitude for all the research you've done on the problem. I haven't rinsed my tanks yet, but will be doing so in the next few days, as I haven't yet installed my wings. Should be able to do so in the next week or so. I've left them hanging vertical in my garage/shop to conserve room, but their ready to hang. I'm lucky to be able to obtain alcohol free high test gas about 15 miles from where I live, so will be using auto gas for the most part.
Again thanks for all your input.
Roger
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Roger,  where in the world are you getting high test fuel with no ethanol?  Are you sure?  Have you tested it?  The reason I have asked is that refineries are required to use it.  This is what I have been told....maybe I am wrong here.  
Let us know..
Thanks,
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Roger
Veteran Member

ethanol

Post by Roger »

Dennis:
I pulled up in front of the gas pump in Kiowa Colo. about a week ago, and I see that their pumps say in big letters"No Alcohol In Our Gas" I do know that a couple of years ago, I was out a couple of miles south of this station to a bulk plant and the people there said they carried the no alcohol gas in bulk and could deliver it across the county line between May first and the first of Oct., as the county I live in is just outside of Denver and all counties surrounding Denver must carry the alcohol/gas blend between the first of Oct. and the first of May. I haven't talked to anyone that's tested it, but I'd have to believe that the sign is accurate, as Colorado has a division of the Colo. government that tests these stations continualy. Maybe I can buy you some here and ship it back to you. LOL.
Roger
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder how much hazardous shipping cost would be  :?:  :?:  :?:  :lol:
Dennis
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

A station 5 miles away posted a big board out front stating "We Have Ethenol Free gas".

Paul, PA
billy5823
Veteran Member

gas

Post by billy5823 »

i agree dennis, i am going avgas .....i havent had any trouble.... but dealing with it in the bike shop it is killing motorcycles .......mostly if it sitts in the tank for a couple months.......i am haveing to  rebuilt carbs after sitting for three months and am having to put hotter plugs in just about everything........plus i wont have to carry jugs anymore  yeepee.....
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Billy,  yea I thought the up side to all this is that no more running to the gas station and hand filling the wings.  Now pull up at the airport and say.....fill her up!   :lol:   Then the sad part.....pulling out the wallet.   :cry:
Dennis
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Here is the rotax service bulletin link for those who have not seen it:

http://www.rotax-owner.com/SI_TB_Info/S ... -016R1.pdf

Dennis
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

From Phillip Lockwood {Lockwood Aviation-Rotax}

http://www.nak.no/mikro/html/Teknisk/Etanol_rotax.html

Dennis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Hey Pilots and gonna-be pilots :lol:
just heard some pretty good news on  http://www.ultraflightradio.com/ about the rotax family of engines and the affect ethanol has on them.  based on the broadcast Rotax will be coming out with a bulletin which states the rotax engines, specifically the 912 series will handle 10% ethanol in the fuel with no problems and they will be increasing the TBO on the 912 (80 & 100hp) to 2000 hours.  Check out the sites broadcast topics, it normally has some pretty good stuff on the 912.

Steve
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

Today, when I left Walhalla, SC with my motor home and trailer in tow, I drove past a Crown gas station that had a sign “No Ethanol in our gas”.  After testing same with my EAA test tube, I filled my empty jerry jugs with 30 gals of 93 oct.  ($1.93 per gal)  So far, I have not had a real difficult time finding Ethanol free gas --which may be different than “Alcohol” free gas.( I have been able to locate the fuel not only in SC, but MO, OK, TX and NM).  However, I have heard of at least one occasion when the supposedly alcohol free gas DID contain ethanol,  (which technically IS NOT alcohol.)   In any case, when I do run MOgas in my Jabiru engine, it is done with 50% AVgas.  So far no problems with either the gas tanks or the engine,  (150 hours).  

Frank
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

That is what I am currently doing with the gas.  I am testing as I go and when I find some high test premium with 5% or lower that is what I put in my tanks.  Wow, have not heard about rotax stating that 10% is ok and going to 2000 TBO....Hope to hear from Rotax on that.
Thanks,
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”