Disc brakes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
juliant
Seasoned Member

Disc brakes

Post by juliant »

Hi
I notice that the Matco disc brakes supplied are different to those in the manual. How have people mounted them
ie with caliper behind the axle with bleed nipple at the bottom? Can't find anything useful on the Matco site
thanks
Julian
Roger
Veteran Member

Brakes

Post by Roger »

Hi Julian:
I've seen them mounted both ways. I personaly mounted mine behind the axel and my thinking was that if I hit something such as a large weed of something of that caliber, the brake line would have a little protection. And yes, I think you want the bleeder valve on the bottom, as when you fill your brakes with fluid, you are pushing all the air and fluid up from the bottom. What I did was, bought a new squeeze oil can, (one with a trigger that can be pumped) and a lenght of 1/4" hose about 4 feet long, and just pumped the fluid up from the bottom until the fluid started comming out the master brake cylinder.
Roger
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Hi Roger
Thanks that makes sense
cheers
Julian
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

One bit of technic an old mechanic friend use to do was warm the brake caliper with a hot air gun to make the bubbles run out of the nooks and crannies better during the pressure load.  Could be a wives tail, but thats what I do still.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

Return to “Just Aircraft”