612SC with tall gear and 29" tires

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

612SC with tall gear and 29" tires

Post by taildrgfun »

m7flyer asked if I could post a pic with the new 29" tires. I am awful on the computer but with my wifes help I hope this works. I have about 60 landings in the rough on them now and  my only regret is not getting them sooner. They are fantastic! I really like the tall heavy duty gear legs too. When all 3 tires are on the ground I have 34 1/2" prop clearance. I used to beat my prop up on weeds and sagebrush all the time but not anymore. Water skiing was a surprise. I expected them to really skim across the water easily but they really drag on it. Little tires ski a lot easier. They just take a little practice cause it feels different. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

You could really make me hate you for having too much fun. :cry:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Sorry Lynn but I just can't help myself. I get in my airplane and fun just happens! :wink:
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Steve,
 I don't care what size your tires are...

You are the man...

I don't know how many people I have
sent to your deadstick takeoff video.

That is still the coolest.

Troy said you guys were considering if
200++ lbs off ballast would improve the
take-off roll, and he wanted to know if
I would volunteer. I'm not so sure if I would... :D

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

When I grow up that's what I want to be!! :P
Carnation, Wa Highlander
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Great Pic!  I really like the way you have your doors framed.  Can you share with us what you did?  Also, love the YouTube vids.  We got mountains here too....but for some reason they are covered by these tall green things  :lol:  :shock:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Dennis,
   Nothing special on the doors, just some yellow tape on the outside edges cause to me it looks a little better. Just in front of the doors I have a deflector taped on. They keep the wind from trying to catch my doors when I'm going over 100 mph. I have small lift struts on the windows too because I fly alot with them open and didn't like them flopping up and down. :)
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Steve,
Just curious, but when your running 100mph indicated, what is your rpms?

Steve
Carnation, Wa
cwqnee

Post by cwqnee »

Steve,

How much of a difference in cruise speed with the larger tires? Just curious since if you have the tundra tires on you're probably not that interested in high speed cruise anyhow!

Just showed your hilltop landing videos to my wife. Great vids man!
Chuck
Sunny LaBelle, FL
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I usually run 5000 to5200 when cruising 100. I take off at about 5600 and just leave it there while playing around in a several mile area, and then when I head home I just hit the toggle switch and put some more pitch in the IVO prop. There is more maintenance with this electric adj prop, but for me it is worth it. I don't like to be stuck in one pitch, it's just too much of a compromise for me where I'm so into going to pretty radical places.
The big tires don't slow it down more than maybe 2 or 3 mph. I just wish I would have put them on 900hrs back. They aren't needed for actual runways, but they are really amazing in the rocks and badger holes etc.
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Steve

What a great set up. I'm going to use a 76" single blade prop so I need the extra clearance you've got. Can you recall the extra height you got from the heavy duty legs? I dont really want to run tires quite up to 29" but if I have to can you tell me what they weigh. They could add to my C of G problem.

Thanks

keith
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

The gear is about 6" taller and attaches in 3 spots instead of 2.  The tires weigh 27lbs each.
I started out on 8.50's for the first couple hundred hrs and they were OK but nothing special. I think they are too stiff and heavy duty for these light planes but for most people they are a good diameter.  Next I went to some really cheap 2 ply tubeless King Fox tires. Same 21" height as the 8.50's but much lighter and a lot more compliant over bumps. I liked them much better and put about 700 hrs on them.  I always knew what I really wanted was the Bushwheels but just never wanted to spend that much money for tires. For the kind of places I like to land, they are worth it.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

taildrgfun wrote:I usually run 5000 to5200 when cruising 100. I take off at about 5600 and just leave it there while playing around in a several mile area, and then when I head home I just hit the toggle switch and put some more pitch in the IVO prop. There is more maintenance with this electric adj prop, but for me it is worth it. I don't like to be stuck in one pitch, it's just too much of a compromise for me where I'm so into going to pretty radical places.
The big tires don't slow it down more than maybe 2 or 3 mph. I just wish I would have put them on 900hrs back. They aren't needed for actual runways, but they are really amazing in the rocks and badger holes etc.

Taildrgfun,

If you were to level out and "cruise" while keeping your prop in climb pitch, how fast would your plane be going?
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I will try to remember to really notice just what it does in take-off pitch at cruise. I do know that the IVO has a wider range of speed than my Kiev even when left at 5600 static. These are the only 2 props I've tried yet. I would be very interested in an in-flight adj Kiev if they ever are available.
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Thanks Steve, very helpful info
Keith

Return to “Just Aircraft”