Gearbox oil

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Gearbox oil

Post by b1x4nqb »

Anybody check their gearbox oil before first run-up.  I was just browsing the Lockwood manual and they said that the B gearbox ships without oil.  I was wondering if all of them ship dry?  It never occured to me to check it as I have not seen it discussed before.  Isn't it just engine oil? I guess I should check even though it had it's AD in the spring of this year, just to be sure.

Paul, PA
Last edited by b1x4nqb on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Paul,

If you are using the 912, the gearbox is lubricated using the engine oil system, which is why you should use a motorcycle specific oil.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Yep, the 912 family uses the motor oil for lubing the gears.  The 2 strokers have gear oil that needs to be changed out.  So run that "good" oil in there with the appropriate additives.  I recommend the new aeroshell sport designed for the 4 strokes like the rotax 912 series.  That way you can use the 100LL or the auto fuel and not have to worry about the right oil.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I'm currently running the Mobile 1 but am curious what the best source is for the Aeroshell Sport oil?  Cost/quart?

Thanks,
Paul, PA
billy5823
Veteran Member

oil

Post by billy5823 »

i ordered a case from spruce and it was 98 bucks it is out of stock until the 16th
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

I got mine from the oil store .com for $82.00 a case of twelve liter bottles or $6.82 a quart pluss shipping, Glenn
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Paul, that is exactly what I ran, the Mobil 1 racing 4 something..... :?   Anyway....changed to the new aeroshell when rotax did the research and recommended it with either the 100LL or auto fuel.  I got my first case from Aircraft Spruce.  I found it on line cheaper but longer shipping time and I needed it then so in 2 days had it at my door.  Aircraft Spruce is fast but sometimes expensive.  
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...

Return to “Just Aircraft”