Fourty point zero!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Fourty point zero!

Post by gme9261236 »

Well since getting the offical DAR signoff on July 2nd of this year the hobbs last night clicked over to 40.0!

I will tell you, I stuck to the limitations given by the DAR regarding the 25 miles and it got tedious. I started by just doing landings and probably knocked out 100 before leaving the pattern. After that I ventured 6 miles from the field and tracked down the beach to another field 15 miles south and 1 mile off the beach for some crosswind, pavement and more grass landings. After that it was the 8 or so fields in the radius for every type of landing condition I could find for paved and non paved and crosswind and towered and private and the whole nine yards. I ended up with just under 350 landings and had a great time with it.

The plane has been handling great and we have settled on a static rpm of 5300 and a climb rpm of 5500 at 45-50 mph giving me around 1300FPM initial settling down to 1000FPM. Cruise has been around 103 at 5500 rpm although that is based on calculations (see my airspeed indicator thread.)

I have been pulling the power back to 4500RPM and setting flaps 1 at mid field downwind and then power idle and flaps 2 abeam the numbers for the approach. I fly the approach at 45-50 or so and then slow it to 35-40 just over the fence for a landing with minimal float. I have been seeing around 250 feet of runway used over an obstacle and when prompted I can cut the landing roll to under 100feet with no problems. Wheel landings I choose to fly with zero flaps and power idle using 40-45 for speed over the fence.

Stall has been a non event and it really doesnt break, it just seems to float there in buffet prompting you to lower the nose. Im still working with the rigging to get it just right although it is very close now. I am not an expert and it has been easy to go down the slippery slope with one correction affecting another and feeling like I am going backwards at times. It is in good shape now though with just a little bit to go. I am very much looking foward to venturing outside my 25 miles and doing a bit of night flying.

Any questions let me know and Ill be happy to answer you. Using the rotax 912uls with the ivoprop medium ground adjustable. The weather has been cooperative but spending time with the wife and being away for work 4 days a week has made it interesting as far as slipping away for some flying.

Here is a blurry photo I snapped of the plane lit up for its future night flights. Photo quality is poor but you get the idea.

rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Congratulations! I know that 40 hours can seem like an awlfully long time. My 40 was bad also. My guy told me that during my 40 hours I was only allowed to take off and land at my strip. Even though I had a 50 mile test area, I was not allowed to land anywhere but my home strip. I had several tell me that wasn't correct, but my guy was actually an FAA official, not a designate so I didn't want to push it.
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati

Return to “Just Aircraft”