91 Octane

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

91 Octane

Post by gme9261236 »

Our airfield used to carry 89 octane which we did not want to use because it is the bare min reccomended for the 912. Just in, the tank ran dry and they switched to ethanol free 91 octane mogas.

They say it is ethanol free and we have no reason to not believe them however we have not tested it. We have been using 100LL at 5.30/gal and the 91 would be 4.60/gal. We want to make the switch for the savings, what do you guys think? If it is ethanol free and 91 octane it should do the trick I would imagine. Anyone have any experience with it?
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

There has been much discussion on the ethanol issue on this board.  Just do a search to review.  I have been going from 100LL to 91octane.  The high test auto fuel has ethanol some places.  I have a tester and test it before buying it.  So far BP high test has NOT had ethanol.  My suggestion after doing the research and asking every "expert" I can find is 5% is ok in the Rotax.  Anything more is questionable.  Ethanol vs 100LL....everyone has a different opionion, but everyone says look for the no ethanol fuel.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

We understand that ethanol is bad and were told that this fuel is ethanol free. They sent an empty tanker truck up to pick it up prior to when it gets the additive and had it brought down to their tanks. I suppose our issue was if it is truely ethanol free (after we test it just to confirm what they said) would there be any adverse affects from runnning the 91 octane as opposed to the 100ll?
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

The preferred fuel for the 912uls is 91 octane auto fuel. 100LL has too much lead and is harmful to the engine.  Can lead to stuck valves and sludge in the oil.

So if the auto fuel is less than 5% ethanol, that is the best you can get.

DAve
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Just the info I was looking for Dave, thanks alot guys.

This field is very reputable with a great group of guys so when they say it has no ethanol I believe them but for safetys sake I will still have it tested because often times no ethanol can mean "some" ethanol or "less" ethanol than normal.

It will be nice to save a few bucks per fillup.

Return to “Just Aircraft”