ACF-50 for avionics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

ACF-50 for avionics

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Anybody using ACF-50 or similar anti-corrosive spray for protecting their electronics and avionics? I ordered some aerosol from Aircraft Spruce...
Wes
Premium Member

Avionics Protection

Post by Wes »

Dave,
If you are talking about inside of the avionic case, then I would be a little concerned about spraying a preservative that is not designed for electrical circuits. I don't think ACF 50 would short things out, but some avionics boards have RF circuits that are sensitive to chemical coatings.
There are "conformal coating" sprays that are designed to be compatible with electrical and RF components. An example of such a spray is 'Kon Form SR' from Chemtronics. Just do a search on conformal coatings or Chemtronics. These spray coatings are available from major electronic supply houses like Mouser.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Avionics Protection

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Wes wrote:Dave,
If you are talking about inside of the avionic case, then I would be a little concerned about spraying a preservative that is not designed for electrical circuits. I don't think ACF 50 would short things out, but some avionics boards have RF circuits that are sensitive to chemical coatings.
There are "conformal coating" sprays that are designed to be compatible with electrical and RF components. An example of such a spray is 'Kon Form SR' from Chemtronics. Just do a search on conformal coatings or Chemtronics. These spray coatings are available from major electronic supply houses like Mouser.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Wes
Thanks Wes,

There's an interesting video on YouTube where they apparently take a running TV treated with Corrosion X and dip it in some fluind while it's turned on....

Return to “Just Aircraft”