Top cowl

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Top cowl

Post by Roger »

I have my top cowl pretty well fitted, but the collar around the Rotax gear box is resting on the gear box. That makes a nice secure place for it to rest, but I'm wondering if the vibration will be a problem. How did you folks that are up and flying do it.
I can always sand it back more. Just need to know before I start the engine. All replies are appreciated.
Thanks
Roger
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Roger,
  Not sure it is a good idea to rest any part of the cowling on the motor.  The vibration will eat into the fiberglass.  I know this because there are a few small areas that are around the front of the gear box on mine that are about a 1/4in away and have rubbed a spot on the cowling due to vibration.  Starting and stopping the Rotax is "violent".  It is not smooth and will move that engine around.  I would recommend a refit.  Just my couple cents worth  8)
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
KevinC
Veteran Member

top cowling

Post by KevinC »

It seems to me that I used a ~1 inch piece of oil line hose on top of the gearbox and that was just about perfect.

fwiw

k

509KC.... still not flown.... :(

Return to “Just Aircraft”