Tailspring pictures

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Tailspring pictures

Post by b1x4nqb »

Anybody got any tailspring chain set-up pictures?

Thanks,
Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

You wouldn't need that if you put the funny little wheel up front where it belongs....   :lol:   8)
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Roger
Veteran Member

Tail spring pic's

Post by Roger »

Stop that Dennis, you bad guy,
Hey Paul, I talked to Troys dad here a while back about those funny little clip type things that are supposed to connect the chains to the rudder yoke. I actually had already installed mine and put them on as tight as I could possibly get  them, but Troys dad said your best bet is to go down to Lowes Hardware and get the 1/8" (not sure of the name) little oblong things with the long nut in the middle on one side, the type a person connects a trailer safety chain to a P.U. with, and use 4 of them to connect the chain to the yoke. I asked him how tight to make it and he said leave it fairly loose as it makes the steering to sensitive if it's too tight. Before I start the taxi trials, I'll probably need to loosen mine.
Roger
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

scubarider2 wrote:You wouldn't need that if you put the funny little wheel up front where it belongs....   :lol:   8)
Dennis
You're right Dennis, I like them so much I'm putting two wheels up front!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Here is a couple pics how mine looks and what works for me.  I actually replaced the original springs with lighter ones because I couldn't get the right tension. It was either too loose where the tailwheel would stay engaged while taxing or if I took one link out it was too tight once the tail came off the ground.  It taxied great when it was tight but once the wheel came off the ground the springs engage too quickly. I was fighting against the tension of the spring when applying rudder and then it snapped back when I applied opposite rudder causing an overcontrol issue, I was not having fun.  I didn't realize what was going on until I lifted the tail and tested the rudder control with the wheel off the ground, then it was obvious.  I haven't been able to find the right amount of tension using the original springs and links because one link was either too loose or too tight. The lighter spring still allows for good ground handling and you don't feel any tension while applying rudder in the air.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Steve,

Thanks for the pictures.  This is what I was looking for.  I just needed to see how much slack and what parts to use.  Those end clamps didn't come with my kit so I'll have to pick up 4 of them tomorrow someplace also.  BTW, where did you get the replacement springs and what size did you order?  

Thanks to all,
Paul, PA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Paul,
On the west coast we have a number of small chain hardware stores like Ace Hardware, True Value, etc. the big ones like Lowe's and Home Depot may have a section of springs in there hardware department but I found places like Ace and True value had the best assortment.  

Steve

Return to “Just Aircraft”