Doors

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Doors

Post by b1x4nqb »

Any advice on cutting the lexan oversize for the doors.  I followed the book today but when I went to bend it over the door frame it comes up short in covering the entire frame.  It is very stiff in wanting to bend over the frame anyway.  Sort of bending it down over the center section then forward as well around the bend in the center section.  Does that make sense??  Anyway, did you all use the book recommended 1 inch overlap on the bottom and rear for the door frame or go larger?

I might order thinner stuff.  Doors are not required on this plane for the DAR inspection, are they?

Thanks,
Paul
Last edited by b1x4nqb on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

We went larger than the instructions specified, especially in the front. Its nice to have enough to make a good seal to keep out the drafts, you can really appreciate that this time of year.

I took Troys advice and ditched the top window. If you're on the ground and it's too hot, open the door....
KevinC
Veteran Member

Door lexan

Post by KevinC »

I cut everything initially very oversize, then drilled/cleco'd the panels starting from one end to the other, then I put the doors in place to see how much to cut.  I was amazed how much extra I needed past the frame.  I had no problems with the bends.

fwiw

k
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Door lexan

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

KevinC wrote:I cut everything initially very oversize, then drilled/cleco'd the panels starting from one end to the other, then I put the doors in place to see how much to cut.  I was amazed how much extra I needed past the frame.  I had no problems with the bends.

fwiw

k
We went well oversize and added leading edge door edge protectors like Taildraggerfun's plane shows.
We also cold-bent the forward corner of Lexan inward with 4" break pliers.
Roger
Veteran Member

Lexan

Post by Roger »

Hey Dave:
Did you let the window Lexan, overlap the aluminum piece at the top front? I haven't installed (except to fit) the doors yet, and I allowed about 1" overlap on that aluminum piece. Just wondered if I should trim it off or leave it overlap.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Paul, yep I did the same as everyone it seems.  I cut it with generous overlap then fit it to the frame.  Then after holding it up on the plane drew with a marker where I needed it cut just right so that the overlap would seal and not just at the door.  I left the window in because I can open it in flight.  Great way to cool it down and bring in some fresh air.  I also open it during taxi.  If you cut enough overlay in the window it is no problem with air coming in during the winter months.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

We open our windows in flight almost every time we fly.  I can't imagine not having them for ventilation and photography.  Another thing I like doing is blowing up a balloon, throwing it out the window and then circling around and breaking it with the prop. :D
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
KevinC
Veteran Member

door leading edge

Post by KevinC »

Unfortunately I still don't know how it will work - but here's how I protected the leading edge of the door from the slipstream.  It is made from a 2" wide piece of aluminum.

fwiw

k

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Lexan

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Roger wrote:Hey Dave:
Did you let the window Lexan, overlap the aluminum piece at the top front? I haven't installed (except to fit) the doors yet, and I allowed about 1" overlap on that aluminum piece. Just wondered if I should trim it off or leave it overlap.
Hi Roger,
I have the Lexan overlaping the metal piece by about 3/8" right now. It's a tight seal but I very well may trim it so that it comes inside the metal and out of the slipstream.

Return to “Just Aircraft”