Oregon - John Day River Video

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Neighbor Pete
Forum Regular

Oregon - John Day River Video

Post by Neighbor Pete »

Well, no Highlanders or Escapades in this video, but as soon as I get my Highlander I'll be sure to take some video of it. For now, I am just lucky to ride and fly from the back of my buddy's Supercub. We took a trip to Chukar Flats on the John Day River for some steelhead fishing on Sunday and I used the video function on my little camera for the first time. It came out fairly well so I thought I would post it here for ya'll to check out. I figure you can never get too much backcountry flying stuff eh? If any of you west coasters are looking for a super sweet backcountry spot, Chuckar Flats is absolutely worth checking out. Hope you enjoy it...

http://www.vimeo.com/2274604

Neighbor Pete
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

You are right, that video did come out great. I wish we had some locations like that up here. i am sure there is something similiar somewhere I just havent found it yet. We are pretty densely wooded with very few riverbeds and flats around and the ones that are there you would think twice before dropping in.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Wow!

Post by KevinC »

That is exactly what I want to do with my plane.  I saw that spot on backcountry.com as well and wondered.

How was the fishing?

Awesome video - you are an artist, eh?

k
Neighbor Pete
Forum Regular

Post by Neighbor Pete »

Kevin, Chukar Flats is practically in your front yard!! It only took us 45 minutes from Hood River to get there and I bet even less time for you. The approach in is pretty straight on assuming the wind is from the south and you land upstream. It can certainly be landed downstream too but the approach is a little tighter. The strip is pretty smooth with some bumps on each end but bushwheels are certainly not required there. There's a windsock in the top of the lone tree by the strip.

We didn't have any hookups that day unfortunately, but with steelheading that's how it goes more often then not. It was such a cool environment with nobody else around that I didn't really give a crap though. I've done lots of chukar hunting on the hills above the strip, but had never been down to that part of the river before. It's super nice steelhead water. The steelhead in the John Day, even though they are considered summer steelhead, don't enter the river until November. It should be a great winter spot to go fishing on the occasional clear days we sometimes (seldom) get at that time of year. In the summer, its a great river to fly fish (or spin if you have to) for bass. It's considered a blue ribbon bass fishery. There are no hatchery stock of steelhead present so it's going to be almost entirely catch and release for the wild fish. It's all about the experience though.

Get that taildragger endorsement boy! I know you are working on it and hope it is going well. I'm waiting for you to come over and give me a ride :) I was sorry to read about the insurance hassles. I can't imagine how you are dealing with that with your nice new plane out in your hangar. Stay strong :)

More beta on Chukar Flats can be found here.... http://www.shortfield.com/index.php?opt ... FLATS&vw=2
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Pete that is really great video!
Very nicely done.

That gets me fired up!

Who is the music artist?

I guess I need to consider getting
rid of my front wheel & the wheel pants, huh? :oops:

Not really... 8)

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Neighbor Pete
Forum Regular

Post by Neighbor Pete »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you are enjoying the video.

JohnnyC, the first song is Pearl Jam playing the song "Alive" unplugged. The second is Stevie Ray Vaughn playing the Jimi Hendrix song "Little Wing". I have just always liked them and they seemed to work ok.

I'm looking forward to making some backcountry Highlander videos (my own future Highlander that is) in the upcoming years.... it's gonna happen. Not soon enough, but it's gonna happen.  I'm big time jealous of you guys at the moment though.  :D

Pete

Return to “Just Aircraft”