First flight of 509KC

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

First flight of 509KC

Post by KevinC »

Went off without fire, smoke or bent tubing, so I feel blessed.  The test pilot was very happy with the performance - I thought we might have to shoot him down.  A few squawks to list and I'd like any input others might have on them so please comment.

Did the carb sync just before and engine was smooth.  After 1.7 hr engine was not smooth and there was fuel on the belly (!!!!!).  I've looked for a leak, but not an intense look as I was out of time.

Despite having the 'Just' superwhamadyne throttle cable, the springs pull the throttle forward with a heck of a lot of friction.  Don't like that.  Suggestions?

Slightly left wing heavy.

AOA not yet calibrated (expected).

trim cable slipped.

warm feet, cold head.

Sticks need a bend in them.

That was about it.  Otherwise uneventful.  We didn't get cruise numbers as the chase plane was a super cub.  He pulled back to about 4700 and had about 87 mph.  Stall is after airspeed indicator stops working and was straightforward, easily recovered.

Builders:  git 'er done!

K
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Congratulations, Kevin!!  :D
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Looks Great! Congrats!

Did you get permission to use
the Car Wash parking lot? You
guys out west have all the fun...

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
billy5823
Veteran Member

good job

Post by billy5823 »

i played with my throttle springs ,until i just took them off i wasnt happy.....if the left wing is heavy  put more bite in it by turning the heim bolt on th back strut in a few turns....may have a float sticking or trash under the float needle. that would make gas come out the overflow and the fuel level would be to high so it would flood the engine and make run bad.... i cut my sticks off a bunch ......maybe these will help thanks  and happy flyin billy
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Way to go Kevin, looks great!
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Re: First flight of 509KC

Post by gme9261236 »

As for the throttle we have the exact same issue and end up flying with the friction lock really cranked in. If not it will "walk" its way back in. Sometimes I will start the landing flare around 1800 RPM or so and it will increase throttle on you towards 2000-2100. Certainly not what you would want trying to get it into a tight spot. I would not feel comfortable removing the springs as it is a valuable safety but I would feel comfortable probably trying much lighter springs so that if the cable snaps it is just enough tension to bring the throttles up.

We are also wing heavy and here is what we did. We cranked in the adjustimification nut on the strut all the way and that got it pretty close but not all there. We also dropped the left flap just a tiny amount and that did the trick a little more. A realization that you will not realize until you have 50 hours is that when you put a pax in the right seat it will no longer be wing heavy and will fly hands off which is where I am now. Solo it is slightly left wing heavy but with a pax it flys hands off.

As for the sticks needing a bend...absolutely agree. Take a look at the thread I did back in June or so regarding bending the sticks, a tremendous improvement in ergonomics.

I flew the other day when it was 14 degrees and the heater was non functional. From what I gather the amount of freezing air blowing in over the muffler shrouds is just too much and too cold for those tiny mufflers to heat up and the air was luke warm at best. When it is more manageable in the 35+ range I do notice some heat coming out. I am going to do what taldrgfun did and put the deflectors infront of the doors as well and seal it up a bit better as we are not only taking in a ton of air but also not sealed up too nice and probably losing what we have as well.

Let us know what else you come up with...I am just about where most others are at 53 hours or so with some minor tweaks here and there. [/b]
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Kevin,
Congratulations, that is a great looking plane.

I removed the springs on the carbs.  I know that this is a safety feature, but the likely hood of both throttle cables breaking is slim.  The Just superwhizbang throttle has like 1/4" cable and will push and pull the throttle just fine.  I did not like the feel of the throttle fighting the springs.

I fly mine with the seat in the 2nd notch from the front.  I do not notice an ergonomic challenge with the stick in normal flight.  There have been no occasions where I needed full forward stick, other than in the hangar making airplane noises.  But the bent stick would be nice.

The other post on the heavy wing sounds right on.  without a passenger, 973U makes a gentle slow bank to the left, and only a slight bit of pressure on the stick keeps it straight and level.

I find that the problem with my heater is the control flap.  I have a muff on the left exhaust that goes through a vans cabin heater box.  Not much air passes through and therefore not much heat.  On the right exhaust I installed a muff and put the scat tube straight through a flange on the firewall.  I stuff a rubber ball in the hole if heat is not needed.  This one supplies lots of heat with plenty of volume of air.  I have the toucan exhaust though.  The best solution to the heater was a pair of Carhart Arctic Extreme bibs, and a leather bomber jacket.  Heating the Highlander is about like expecting to heat an old trailer house with the windows open.

It is quite a feeling to see someone else launch into flight in a plane that you have constructed.  What would make a pilot in his right mind jump in a plane built by an amateur?  I asked my test pilot that question, and he said that it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must me a duck.  He did do a long preflight and lots of taxi testing prior to the flight.  This must be somewhat similar to the feeling a father has when he lets his daughter go out on the first date.

Great job and a huge accomplishment.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Kevin it's sure good to hear you got it airborne.  I was my own test pilot 3.5 yrs ago and I clearly remember the excitement and sense of accomplishment. Ours is also slightly left heavy when solo, hands off with pax. I couldn't do without offset sticks either. Have fun,be safe. :)
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)

Return to “Just Aircraft”