Mounting bushing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
juliant
Seasoned Member

Mounting bushing

Post by juliant »

Hi
Question on the wing/fuse mount bushes

In the manual it states:
Remove material from the bottom of each mounting bushing until the overall length is 0.010” shorter than the inside dimension between the doublers.  Finally, slightly round both front and rear edges of the mounting bushing to correspond with the inner radius of the doublers.
On the rear mount if you were to round the front and rear edges, when the wing is swung back it would presumably deform the tube as it would open it up slightly.
Is this correct and if so does it matter ?
thanks
Julian
NZ
juliant
Seasoned Member

Wing mounts and I beams

Post by juliant »

Got an answer from the factory, it is required to stop the bushing cutting into the wing doublers and that the deformation would be marginal and of no consequence.
On another matter I was also struggling with inserting the rear I beam, as the rear tube was very slightly oval (in the wrong way of course!!) I could only push it in a matter of inches before completely binding up. After trying oil, grease, polishing etc I contacted Troy and his suggestion was to use clamps to form a slight oval( actually making it round) in the other direction to allow the I beam to slide in, which it did with ease.
This would be a useful tip if anyone is having trouble with this part. I would advise being careful to only squeeze it up enough to allow the beam to slide in and not too much to cause any permenant deformation. and in reality it didnt take much to ease it.
cheers
Julian
NZ
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Wing mounts and I beams

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

juliant wrote:Got an answer from the factory, it is required to stop the bushing cutting into the wing doublers and that the deformation would be marginal and of no consequence.
On another matter I was also struggling with inserting the rear I beam, as the rear tube was very slightly oval (in the wrong way of course!!) I could only push it in a matter of inches before completely binding up. After trying oil, grease, polishing etc I contacted Troy and his suggestion was to use clamps to form a slight oval( actually making it round) in the other direction to allow the I beam to slide in, which it did with ease.
This would be a useful tip if anyone is having trouble with this part. I would advise being careful to only squeeze it up enough to allow the beam to slide in and not too much to cause any permenant deformation. and in reality it didnt take much to ease it.
cheers
Julian
NZ
Clamps, thats cool... we're using clamps on streamline struts to ease insertion of mounting brackets too.
We cooled I-beams with ice to ease insertion.

Return to “Just Aircraft”