Trim tab connection

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Trim tab connection

Post by KevinC »

Ok, the trim tab is back on the plane.  Those who've been there please take a look and let me know if it looks right to you (lurkers at Just Air, too).

Yes, you could say I'm "apprehensive" about flying it....

K

jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Kevin,  I don't think you'll have any issues with that. I like where you ran the cable out of the fuselage.  Jak
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Everything looks good to me.  I also ran my cable out the fuselage.  I gave enough room for upward and downward movement and did a stand-off connection at the stab. wire.  This way there is no "rubbing" on the paint job from the cable.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
KevinC
Veteran Member

movement of tab

Post by KevinC »

One thing I forgot to include:  as it is the tab can be moved by hand approx. .5 inch down without any movement of the trim control handle.  It resists movement up.  It appears to be the spring action of the entire length of piano wire that accounts for that 'slop'.  When you try to move your tab by hand does it move without moving the control?  How much?  Would you describe it as 'slop'? or is it stiff?

k
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Kevin,
I checked my trim tab.  There is a small amount of movement without moving the cockpit control.  Maybe close to 1/2".  It sounds like the same movement that yours has.

The photo looks like it should be better than mine.  Looks good.  Fear not.  Fly.

Dave
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Loose trim tab hinge rivets

Post by ftcaruso »

Today, in preparation for my trip out West next month, I completed a comprehensive annual condition inspection with 150 hours on the Highlander.   I noticed  that the  trim tab hinge had a degree of flex due to looseness  occurring on most of the aluminum rivets.  I changed out all, on both the elevator and  trim tab side, with 1/8 inch stainless to provide for a better bonding strength to both control surfaces.   In light of previous concerns with regard to the trim tab, it might be good to check yours when you get a chance.

Frank
Roger
Veteran Member

Trim tab

Post by Roger »

These are some pictures of a trim tab cable bracket that I added to my plane that allowed me not to cut into the fabric for the added support. Not sure how to make these pictures smaller.

Roger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”