Cussing out loud revisited (In extremis)

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
fiferphil
Premium Member

Cussing out loud revisited (In extremis)

Post by fiferphil »

I have noted that when someone  screws up in the building process that their description of that event is usually posted in mild, nonvile terms. In extreme cases some have resorted to the top row of the keyboard, holding the shift key down. In my latest goof, during the verbal portion of the following tantram I used all of the cuss-words I knew and tried to invent some new ones. Strangly enough the rant sounded sort of German (You know--like Hitler) Below, I will attempt to describe the mistake that I made using that language that came to me in my rage. Pronounce all w's as V's, and keep in mind I don't speak or write in German.

Ach!!! Was iss dis!?! Mien Gott in Himmel!!! I haf on putten der ailrongeswingencrank und der flappegeswingincrank BACKWARDS! Now tings iss all upegefucht!

Iss Fiferphil nicht ein dumkoph?     Ja! Fiferphil ist ein dumkoph!

Translation:
  Ach!!! What in the hell's this!?! *&(%$#@ Oh my God!#$%%*&^ I installed the aileron and flap bellcranks backward. Now things are all screwed up! &^%*#$

Is Fiferphil not a dummy?  Yes! Fiferphil is a dummy!

Fortunately the fix was not all that bad and now 'der aileronen iss swingin der vey dey otter be swingin und der flappen iss flippen der vey dey otter be flippin.' :D

PS No Highlander parts were damaged, nor pets harmed during the non-verbal part of my rage, but you ought to see my wife's car... :(
Phil Gasbarro
N 61VG (Kit#136)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

When I die, please let me go peacefully in my sleep - like my grandfather...and not screaming and crying like the passengers in his airplane!
Neighbor Pete
Forum Regular

Post by Neighbor Pete »

Oh so funny!  Awesome post and thanks for the translation. I was struggling with a few of the german words even though I took a semester of it back in college and spent the better part of a summer in Germany years ago. I learned a few german cuss words but not those. Glad you were able to get the #U*^ing problem fixed without too much damage to anything but your wifes car :) Does she get to upgrade now?
KevinC
Veteran Member

have the t-shirt...

Post by KevinC »

Phil,

From the auto-translator:  Ich bin dort gewesen, getan dem, habe das Hemd.  been there, done that, have the shirt.

Cracked me up!  Glad to hear you've figured it out without harm (except the car).  I always had to go to the shooting range after a day like that.  BTW - if your wife is like mine, she's expecting a new car anyway [since you have a plane] - so you might as well get it over with.

Kevin
fiferphil
Premium Member

Post by fiferphil »

Kevin and Neighbor Pete

Yeah...my wife is very understanding, but she still had to have a fit -- a Honda Fit, that is. (Nice little car; gets good gas milage and is fun to drive)

Back to the subject at hand: The simple repair that I wrote about involved using the heat gun to soften the epoxy to remove the nose ribs on both sides of the bellcrank, then drilling out the rivits that held the bellcrank on, then reapplying the heat to the bellcrank, itself. A light tap with a soft mallet detached the bellcrank. I took the precaution of wrapping the nearest rib joint with a wet rag so that the heat applied wouldn't weaken that joint.

I then reattached the flap to the wing and positioned the bellcrank to its proper location with its hinge bolt in place and using its rivit holes previously drilled as a template, redrilled and clecoed the part to its new and proper location.

Prior to gluing and riviting the part to its new location, the question came up in my feeble mind of what to do with the old rivit holes -- just leave 'em alone or try to patch 'em up? The thought of going out and doing 6 G turns and stuff like that kind of got me ta thinkin' that leavin' those holes unpatched might not be a good idea. (maybe doin' 6 G turns ain't such a hot idea either! Increased stall speed and exceeding the load limit factors not withstanding, the plane would fly right up its own butt!)  

Anyway, a quick call to the factory and a conversation with Dennis, Troy's dad, gave me the solution. He indicated that they had encountered a similar problem and solved it by taking a 4 inch peice of aileron /flap spar tubing, splitting it lengthwise on one face so it would compress and inserting it into the inside of the repaired spar. After locating the insert so that it covers the  previosly drilled holes from the inside, rivit it place thru the old rivit holes. Also attempt to position the insert so that the new holes will penetrate virgin material in the insert. Then rivit and glue per the construction maunual. Note that previously installed rivits on the end hinge may have to be drilled out to allow for the insertion of the insert and re-rivited after the insert is in place.
Phil Gasbarro
N 61VG (Kit#136)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

When I die, please let me go peacefully in my sleep - like my grandfather...and not screaming and crying like the passengers in his airplane!

Return to “Just Aircraft”