Turtle Deck and Rib Riveting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
juliant
Seasoned Member

Turtle Deck and Rib Riveting

Post by juliant »

Hi
Just interested to know how others have stiffened the front centre of the turtle deck.
I saw a photo of one which shows the deck wedged between the aluminium angle fitted to the top rear tube and the lexan, this seems like a good idea any other methods out there ? I thought of riviting an angle on the underside to stiffen the deck.
As I am nearing covering time I am interested in any tips (eg what is the prefered sequence for covering the fuse. Are the sides and tail all one piece ? or is the top  seperate?)
What areas do you need to use the anti chaff tape ? just false ribs? I have some 3M glass cloth tape is this ok to use?
what do you put on the fabric before the rivets would glass cloth tape do ?
so many questions! Only ever built aluminium skin before so its all new to me!
cheers
Julian
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Julian,

I epoxied a piece of angle aluminum under the deck towards the front to provide some nice support.  It took out the flex and was hardly noticable.

The tail fabric is one piece from the side on around and up.  Take your time on the bend of the tail going verticle.  I had to cut llittle notches to make the bend but once they were cut it went on nicely.  Also, don't go wider than your final tape that will cover this going down the top middle.  As for rivets and fabric, I didn't have any rivets under the fabric that I recall.  If you do, certainly use a piece of rib tape or something of the like to ensure it won't cut through.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Paul, PA
Paul, PA
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Hi Paul
thanks for your reply, I was wondering is the side fabric and half the top (to the stringer) all one piece ?
Also the rivets I was refering to are the ones to be riveted on top of the fabric along the rib (under the finishing tape)instead of rib stitching
I was just enquiring as to what tape  etc you use between these rivets and the fabric, Sorry I didnt explain it very well!!
cheers
Julian
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

That is correct, it is all one piece of fabric.  The bottom has the first, then take one side, then the other.  For the wing rivets ( I also wound up riveting) I used some tape I bought from Poly Fiber that was sticky on one side but much nicer quality than the stuff from Poly Fiber.  I followed up with a piece of finishing tape.
Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Julian,  do a search on fabric covering here.  You will find loads of advice and pictures.  It will help you work it out in your mind before actually pulling the fabric.  I used the superflite process which included the rivet stitching.  
Good Luck!
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Gary H
Veteran Member

deck

Post by Gary H »

This is what I did, easy and quick

Gary

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will fly for food!!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Julian,
another option for stiffening up the turtle deck which results in a double benefit is putting in a window.  I love that fact I can see behind me, one of the best mods I did to the plane.
PS: the ugly guy in the window did not come with the window :shock:

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I used the wedge between Lexan and Al bracket method, with positive attach brackets inside on front, sides, & rear, 2 each. It needs to slide forward for disarticulating the rear chain hinges to enable the hatchback lock open function while at sea, if it ever gets there!

Return to “Just Aircraft”