highlander/ rans s-7

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Trent

highlander/ rans s-7

Post by Trent »

I wonder if there are any here with experience in both the highlander and the rans s-7. I would appreciate comments on the strong points of each and flying qualities. Thanks Trent in Nebraska
Trent
Lynng
Veteran Member

PRO-CON

Post by Lynng »

TRENT,

Since I have flown both aircraft and actually several different airplanes of each....each airplane does have its own feel....I will try to give you a few observations. I flew Joels airplane (BR) while I was in Wyoming and he has extended wings on that airplane.  It is the nicest S7 I have ever flown, that being said, I enjoy tandom for visibility, but you can't fit as much stuff in the back when traveling. The roll rate on the Highlander is greater then the Rans, in fact, I feel my airplane can maneuver quicker on all axises, but that may be because I have cranked and banked in mine A LOT more. The Rans just feels heavier on the controls. Off the ground I prefer the Highlander, it jumps off the ground faster and has a better feel. Ground handling and landing the Rans is easier, but the wider gear on the Highlander is better in strong x winds. In turbulence the Highlander rides better due to the under-camber airfoil. The power off glide is almost even and every individual airplane feels a little different power off, things like 2 blade v 3 blade prop and vgs' ect start to show a bunch. If you haven't figured it out yet I just LOVE airplanes, but I am IN LOVE with my Highlander. Hopefully you can get together with DaveU in South Dakota and fly one. Of the 180+ airplanes I have flown its the one I chose to own. :D
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Trent

Post by Trent »

Thanks Lynn I appreciate much. I am meeting with Dave on Tues to look at his airplane. Trent
Trent
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

I am looking at both of these aircraft too (among others).  

If the folding wing feature is a priority to you, like it is to me, the Rans, I am told, does not have a good folding procedure.  It is very time consuming, compared to the Avid-evolved aircraft like the Highlander/Escapade.
Av8r3400
Trent

Post by Trent »

Folding wings would be much easier in the highlander for sure. I really enjoyed flying the s-7. Especially the stol capability. I like a lighter control force though. Trent
Trent

Return to “Just Aircraft”