Tailwheel

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Order placed

Post by ftcaruso »

Just to let you all know that I have placed my order with Iron-Design, and hope to have the tailwheel ready and delivered when I return to Hilton Head from Florida, next week.  I have an appointment with a mechanic to help me with the installation, and will let you all know what I think after I get a few hours on the new unit.

Frank
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

How are you liking that tailwheel by now?  How many landings do you have on it?  Do you think it is worth the price?  I have been using a friends AK Bushwheel unit and I like it but he needs it back so for now I will put a Maule back on, but I already know they are not that great. :?
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

Steve-   I wish that I had an answer for you.  I'm still awaiting the delivery.  Apparently there was some confusion with regard to Iron Design understanding that I was in a hurry for the unit.  He mis-understood my message that I had to "go back out to work" as that I had to "back out" of my order.  Hopefully it will be delivered by the time that I get finished with my current round of jobs by the end of this month.  I want to get it installed for a trip that I have to make to south Florida in mid June.  After I have a chance to fly with it on some touch and go landings, I will let everyone know my feelings.  I do know that Lynn Gardner loves hers.

Frank
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Frank

How is the new tailwheel going? I presume in this thread, judging by the prices quoted, that we are referring to the Iron design Tundra model and not the 8'' or 10".

Keith
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Tailwheel odessy

Post by ftcaruso »

Boy, I wish that I had an answer for you Keith.  Apparently the tailwheel arrived in Hilton Head last week, while I was away on a trip to south Florida (where I am currently until this weekend), and was returned by UPS to Iron-Design.  :cry:  It is supposed to arrive back in Iowa, tomorrow and he is to re-ship it to my mechanic, so that it will be there when I return next week to install same...almost 4 months from when the original order was placed.  At least the original Matco unit is functioning OK, but I would like to get the new wheel installed before I get out on my trip West.  And, no it is not the Tundra model.  Since my flying is not at all extreme, I will get by fine on the 8” “old lady” wheel that I ordered.  I will let you know how it functions  :?:  after I have a chance to fly with it for a while.

Frank
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Thanks Frank. I will be ordering a new tail wheel soon, but will wait for your report.
Good Luck
Keith
Scott-Iron Design L.L.C.

Post by Scott-Iron Design L.L.C. »

Guys and gals, a quick note on the tail wheels.

1) Frank's is reshipped as of the 17th of June and should have on Friday as I shipped it 2DAY by air at my expense because I know a lot of you are waiting for the report.
2) the wheel steer arm top was modified by the 25 degree set back angle as this has been working for Lynn Gardner and the Just aircraft has such a short tail spring. Nothing wrong with that, just that it different than most planes so we had to make new tops up special. I had a dozen standard ones but was not inclined to ruin a $150 part to make a $150 part. So that was a big part of the delay.
3) I just got a report from a new tail wheel owner in AZ with the HIGHLANDER and things are working very well. This was with the swept back arms.

Now for some details,
For the highlander, the 8" wheel will cover 90% of the landings that the craft will take you. This is because of the light tail loads, bigger foot print than you started with if you have the 6" wheel. Any 8" is less subject to various types of shimmy due to less arm movement momentum (weight) of the wheel. I generally like the aircraft to be higher in weight when you go up to a 10" wheel and skill level of pilot to be top of his game when going to Tundra tail wheel with big tires on the mains. This mostly due to the constant feeling that big tires will take you into short places. It is the ability of the plane and pilot my friends..

I still feel I have one of the best tail wheels on the market, and certainly the best for the dollar spent.

Happy flying and keep the rubber down...

Scott of Iron Design.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

So far, so good!

Post by ftcaruso »

Just a quick post to let you all know that I finally installed the Iron Design tailwheel yesterday and had just a few take-offs and landings at my maintenance facilities grass strip.  I like the solid feel and stability of their tail wheel.  There is absolutely no shudder or shimmy and the steering is very light and positive.  Since I was trying to concentrate on my overheating heating cylinder problem (see the post, “Try the Easy Fix First”) I did not do any extensive experimenting, but will try to do so tomorrow.  I also want to attempt a few pavement landings, since I suspect that is what most of mine will be.  I will update this posting after I have a few more landings under my belt, but right now I am well pleased with the Iron Design’s 8” tail gear.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Just as good on pavement!

Post by ftcaruso »

When  I got over to my maintenance facility today and found that the replacement CHT probe had not yet arrived, I decided to make the 20 minute flight over to a nearby paved field to get some fuel and try out my new Iron Design tail wheel on pavement.  I AM WELL PLEASED!  Each of the 6 landings that I made were solid touchdowns with positive tail wheel placement and absolutely no drift, binding, or lateral movement once the tail wheel contacted the runway.  While landings on grass never posed a problem, with my MATCO gear on pavement I did have two occasions where the back wheel seemed to stick, steering me violently to the right.  Tightening up the spring bolts appeared to correct this problem, but there was always that concern that it might happen again.  Now with only a dozen landings on the new gear, half on grass and half on pavement, I am happy about the positive control that this Iron Design gear imparts.  Even my main gear landings seem easier since once the tail wheel touches the runway I still feel well in control.  I think that this is a great replacement for the factory supplied MATCO gear and at a very fair price.  For those of you with the experience, expertise and desire for more adventuresome landings, I would suspect that the 10” gear or their tundra tires would fit you to a “T”.  For me the 8” wheel is just fine.

Frank
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

Frank,

I can say I have no worries with flying my 8 inch into anywhere I want to go. While the 10" looks cool you will sacrafic useful load. The only place you could really need the bigger wheel I am not willing to risk taking my plane. It just looks REALLY cool.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Lynn and Frank

Thanks for that. I will order a 10inch now as some of the places I intend to go may need it. The extra weight will also help the balance offsetting my heavy engine.

keith
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

10 day tailwheel update

Post by ftcaruso »

I know that it sounds irrational, but ever since I put the Iron Design tail wheel on, my landings have gotten better.  I suspect that it has less  to do with the actual tail wheel than it is from the confidence that this hardware has given me.  The wheel is so stable and solid that I don’t even think about it.  Prior to this, each landing with my Matco gear left me wondering it is was going to bind up this time, and probably took my attention away from the actual landing.  Now with a couple of dozen with the new gear under my belt, I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

Frank
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

Just an update.....I am in Idaho and spent yesterday flying a bunch of the backcountry strips with Taildrgfun. My Iron Design 8" worked flawlessly. It hit some pretty ruff stuff and still made it feel easy. At one point I smacked a good size bolder trying to turn around and it just scooted right up and over with no trouble. I think Steve is thinking about one for his plane.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

Return to “Just Aircraft”