Flaps

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Flaps

Post by Gary H »

Anyone having trouble with your flaps? First, second and third notch on the ground work fine. In the air the third notch will pop out on me. (don't like that to so very much!)  Needless to say I don't use full flaps.
Will fly for food!!
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Same problem here, It has been discussed as well as I believe that I asked the same question about 8 months ago. What I have been doing is when I am on very short final and at a slower flap speed I put in the last notch and then just pull out on the knob for extra assurance that it is locked in place.

The advice I was given I believe was to spray a tef gel or graphite or some sort of lubricant in the flap lever to help out. I think that it may be because the flap handle is to weak and with the force from the air on the flaps in flight it is slightly bending the flap lever as you deploy the flaps as you pull against the wind resistance. That slight bend is what I think is causing it to not lock in.

I know exactly what is happening to you, either you can not get it to lock into the third notch at all or even better you find yourself 100 feet in the air on short final and all of a sudden the lever "jumps" out dumping your flaps from the 3rd to second notch....awesome isnt it?
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I had this same problem when I first started flying my Highlander. After some checking I found I had tightened the bolt too much that holds the postioning pin. Loosen this bolt a little and see if the spring loaded positioning pin moves a little freer. I haven't had any problems with this since then.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”