static port location

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

static port location

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Anybody that can confirm a good location for staic ports for best airspeed accuracy? I guess I'll have 2, one for the AoA instrument and one for AI.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I put mine one each side of the boot cowl, seems to run pretty true to those putting them out on the wing, as you probably know it's the same position many certified aircraft place theirs.

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:I put mine one each side of the boot cowl, seems to run pretty true to those putting them out on the wing, as you probably know it's the same position many certified aircraft place theirs.

Steve
Putting them out on the wing?... ya lost me! Haven't heard of that, where abouts? I've seen where most put the ram air tubes (pitot) but not the static ports.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dave,
the manual shows the pitot and static tubes tied together, that's where I've seen most of them installed.  However, that's not really an option for you since your wings are already covered.

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

stede52 wrote:Dave,
the manual shows the pitot and static tubes tied together, that's where I've seen most of them installed.  However, that's not really an option for you since your wings are already covered.

Steve
Now I know what you mean, thanks.
I did decide to tie them together before wing covering, so have the options now. Since I have 2 instruments that need ram air, I guess I'll put 2 round, conventional static ports into either the boot cowl like you did, or into the fabric just below the boot cowl edge.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: static port location

Post by BDA »

Gotta dig this thread up

I put my static port at the bottom of the boot cowl - in front of - and above - the Superstol shock mount. Maybe 8” in front of the door.

Airspeed is not even close.

So I ran a tube through fuselage and stuck it out the side before the shock mount - redneck style to try a new location.

I have a good airspeed now! - still have to verify how close it is - but it is at least believable now.

So I will run it down the belly and poke through the fabric below the midline and about 2’ in front of the tail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

20200616_195015 - 1024x576.jpg
20200424_143658 - 1024x576.jpg
I placed my static ports (one each side) just behind the rear baggage compartment. I'm not flying yet, but several others have done this and have not had any problems.

Clark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

BDA wrote:I put my static port at the bottom of the boot cowl - in front of - and above - the Superstol shock mount. Maybe 8” in front of the door.

Airspeed is not even close.
Is your indicated airspeed high or low with the static port on the boot cowl? I have dual static ports on ether side of my boot cowl and my IAS is about 10mph high. With static vented inside fuselage it's about 10mph low. I'm going to try running a static out the rear of the fuselage and see what happens.

If I had it to do over I would have made something like this and ran the static line out to the wing with the pitot.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

John
My airspeed was very close at low speeds but on the top end it was about 30 knts off
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I built my own pitot-static tube and installed in the wing using guidance from an old EAA article. I’ll try to take pictures tomorrow, no idea of accuracy yet. I used aluminum tube and put a bracket in the bottom of the left wing between the jury strut and main strut wing attach points. Hopefully this will reduce the number of 1/4” holes in my forehead.

I used AN bulkhead fittings so I could remove the pitot/static tubes during construction/assembly.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

The bulkhead fittings are a GREAT IDEA!

Trying to pull those angled tubes down through and then tighten the clamps through inspection holes is seriously not for the ham handed farmer.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Here is what it looks like, P/S tube needs to be painted.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I used what John mentioned. Ran the Pitot and Static lines together out to the right wing. Added an inspection plate to get to the connections if I every need to. The speeds are pretty accurate compared to a GPS triangle course.

Gary
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I meant to say left wing!!!
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Clark in AZ wrote:
I placed my static ports (one each side) just behind the rear baggage compartment. I'm not flying yet, but several others have done this and have not had any problems.

Clark
Clark,

Because I am planning on the Dynon AOA/Pitot system, I think I am going to add the two static ports on either side of the fuselage like you did. Do you happen to have any other photos of the way they are attached...I'm having a hard time deciphering what I am looking at in those pics. Also, what static ports did you use?

Thanks,

Rob
~Rob

Return to “Just Aircraft”