New Highlander video on YouTube

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

New Highlander video on YouTube

Post by taildrgfun »

I put another short video on YouTube of my Highlander. It is just my typical playing around but I took a friend and he taped a little of it. When I watched it I was amazed how gradual of a slope the hills appear to be. The 1st hill I'm landing on is 40% grade where I'm touching down. The 3rd take off down the side of the hill is about 90% (45degrees). This Highlander is SOOO much fun!!! :D  :D  :D
I called it " Highlander fun turnarounds"               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7DEwQZDPnY
Last edited by taildrgfun on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: New Highlander video on YouTube

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

taildrgfun wrote:I put another short video on YouTube of my Highlander. It is just my typical playing around but I took a friend and he taped a little of it. When I watched it I was amazed how gradual of a slope the hills appear to be. The 1st hill I'm landing on is 40% grade where I'm touching down. The 3rd take off down the side of the hill is about 90% (45degrees). This Highlander is SOOO much fun!!! :D  :D  :D
Couldn't find the new one, does it have a title? Thanks for posting them, very inspirational.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Dude! You are the man!

Wear it out!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Steve,

I don't know if it is possible to have too much fun, but if it is, you are the one having it.    :shock:   Really cool video!  :D

Alan (just trying to get by living in the flatlands)
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

I need to practice more plus get my new gear from Troy. Does it feel easier to balance and hold on the extended gear. I know the tires make it easier. Do you have dual brakes like Steve Collins airplane? I am heading to Ecuador next week to work with Uwe. The Andes should be beautiful this time of year. :D  :wink:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

It doesn't make it any easier on the tall gear, although it is nice to know that the prop is higher above the brush and rocks and such. If you are on a smooth surface the big tires don't matter either, but if it is rough they do just because they roll over bumps and brush more easily. The slower I'm moving and the tighter the turn, like pivoting on one tire, the harder it is to keep it balanced. I hope you do get out here sometime Lynn, we would (will) have a lot of fun!      :D
Almost forgot, yes I do have two calipers per wheel. I am a good brake addict!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Thanks for posting the LINK. Most excellent, as usual.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Steve,
 I couldn't help but notice in the video,
that you really "dog" your engine. Do
you run it that way all the time? Also,
I assume it's a 912S, correct?

Keep 'em coming, and be safe.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Hey John, yes it is a 912s. I have an in-flight adj prop that I set for around 5000 rpm for cruise. When I am landing and taking off I set the prop as flat as it will go. (about 5400-5500 static) When I'm landing in a small place and especially when landing on a steep uphill, I work the throttle as needed. I often times will land 15 to 20 times within an hour in all sorts of different places and situations. When landing in a very short but flat place I will usually hang it on the prop a little so that I for sure don't float and overshoot my intended touchdown spot. Some of these places if I were to miss by 20 ft I could have real problems.
I hope I've answered your question, if not let me know.
If you would like to talk on the phone send me a PM and I will call you.
Steve
 :)
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Steve

On the water, is it necessary to have the brakes on to aquaplane properly?

Cheers

Keith
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

In my plane, no it doesn't matter if the brakes are applied or not. The tires fling up more water when the they are free to turn but it doesn't reach a high wing. I was talking to an old timer about this recently and I think on low wing planes it would be important to hold the brakes. Whatever you do, don't set the park brake to ski. A couple years ago a guy did that here and forgot to release it before landing on the ground and he flipped upside down.
I do several things that I would never try to get someone else to do including water skiing. If you do it stay near a shoreline so you don't drown or lose your plane in deep water if your engine happened to fail. The most important thing is don't get too slow or you WILL be in the water. I watch my speed more closely when skiing than at any other time. I nearly did go swimming once and it was really scary. I went a good 300 yards out into a lake with the water getting deeper and deeper before I could get my tires to break free. Water feels a lot like deep sand, lots of drag. Be careful while having fun.
Steve :)
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

Steve--

What kind of camera setup are you doing these videos with?  Must have a remote trigger and an input from you intercom?

Absolutely wonderful videos, BTW.

Thanks.
Av8r3400
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I'm really wanting a new digital camera. What I have been using so far is an old Sony HI8. It has a remote mic jack that I plug a little Radio Shack mic into and I put the mic itself in one of my earphones. That way everything I hear or say on my headset goes on the tape. As for turning it on and off I just open the window and reach out and push the button on the camera which is on a mount I made on the lift strut.
I have tried a few digital cameras but the $400 ones don't have good enough image stabilizers in them. Trying to save up for a better one.
 :)
stede52
Premium Member

Video Camera Mount system

Post by stede52 »

I'm puting together a video camera mount system using a system from PhotoShip One (http://www.photoshipone.com/merlin_pt.php) I've got all the wiring, control components and video ready for test.  The camera mount does both pan and tilt and the other components I've put togther allows you to operate everthing from inside the cockpit including view what the camera is seeing thru a remote monitor and voice thru your headset .  I'll be posting pictures of the system next week. The weather has been so bad around here I haven't been able to get the system in the air for testing.

Steve
Carnation, Wa

Return to “Just Aircraft”