GEO 1.3L w/ Raven Redrive for Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ron.dace

GEO 1.3L w/ Raven Redrive for Highlander

Post by ron.dace »

What would be the prospect for a Highlander with a 1.3L GEO motor (non-turbo)?

It weighs in at about 170 and produces about 90 hp.  Is that enough HP for the Highlander?

Ron
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

90 hp is certainly enough for our plane. It will fly on 65 just not very good performance. I don't know of anybody that has used this eng. combo and the factory dosn't support mount or cowling for it so you will be on your own on these parts.  But it's an experemental so you can do as you wish with it.   Jak
ron.dace

Post by ron.dace »

I was hoping that someone on the forum had used the motor.  I flew in a Sky Ranger recently with the 1.3L motor and it carried a 400+ lb load @ 85 mph.  The Sky Ranger is a draggy plane and I don't think the prop was pitched for the best performance so I was satisfied with what I saw.  

Ron
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

jak wrote:90 hp is certainly enough for our plane. It will fly on 65 just not very good performance. I don't know of anybody that has used this eng. combo and the factory dosn't support mount or cowling for it so you will be on your own on these parts.  But it's an experemental so you can do as you wish with it.   Jak
Raven Redrives made the Highlander mount for our 1.3 Liter (turboed 115-180HP) and is expecting to build more as orders come in, no difference in mounts. Talk with Jeron for pilots flying behind the non-turboed model, there's a lot of them and it will take the same mount. We just modified the Rotax cowl, but without turbo, it might work stock, certainly only minor mods.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

How much does a turboed one cost?  180 hp? That really sounds fun! I am happy with my 912s but more power always sounds good. :wink:
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

taildrgfun wrote:How much does a turboed one cost?  180 hp? That really sounds fun! I am happy with my 912s but more power always sounds good. :wink:
We could, but we won't boost ours to 180 HP for TBO longevity. We'll hold our 115 to 150HP up to high DAs. Raven was selling them with adjustable Ivos for about $14K as I recall, Highlander mount a little extra.
ron.dace

Post by ron.dace »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Raven Redrives made the Highlander mount for our 1.3 Liter (turboed 115-180HP) and is expecting to build more as orders come in, no difference in mounts. Talk with Jeron for pilots flying behind the non-turboed model, there's a lot of them and it will take the same mount. We just modified the Rotax cowl, but without turbo, it might work stock, certainly only minor mods.
Dave,

If I remember pictures of your engine it was mounted mostly upright.  Mine is the horizontal version so the mounts might be different but I will talk to him about building one if I decide on getting the Highlander.  I am not quite ready to make that decision wth the economy the way it is and two kids in college.  I have the motor to tinker with and a lot of other things to research to keep me busy.  

Ron
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

ron.dace wrote:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Raven Redrives made the Highlander mount for our 1.3 Liter (turboed 115-180HP) and is expecting to build more as orders come in, no difference in mounts. Talk with Jeron for pilots flying behind the non-turboed model, there's a lot of them and it will take the same mount. We just modified the Rotax cowl, but without turbo, it might work stock, certainly only minor mods.
Dave,

If I remember pictures of your engine it was mounted mostly upright.  Mine is the horizontal version so the mounts might be different but I will talk to him about building one if I decide on getting the Highlander.  I am not quite ready to make that decision wth the economy the way it is and two kids in college.  I have the motor to tinker with and a lot of other things to research to keep me busy.  

Ron
Ron,

Jeron handles any engine angle in his shop, the mount holes to firewall are the same. Mine is a slant, which is best for turbo spacing and cooling. These are his favorite aircraft engines.

Return to “Just Aircraft”