Oil Thermostat for the Rotax 912uls

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Re: Oil Thermostat for the Rotax 912uls

Post by kenryan »

Dennis, did you install the Thermostasis thermostat? What was the verdict?
Super Stol Kit #299
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I have not flow yet but did install the Thermostasis thermostat. Hopefully first flight in the next couple of days but really won't be able to give a full report until next winter. The install was straight forward, the hoses and unit were purchased from Aircraft Specialty. I did call Thermostasis before purging the oil system for the first time. I was concerned the oil would not fill the cooler during the initial purge since it was below 190 degrees. They explained some oil does flow to the cooler even when below 190 degrees but did recommend slowly filling the hoses from the thermostat to cooler before starting the purge. I did fill the lines to the cooler which filled the cooler also. While I was at it I filled the hose to the remote oil pressure sender also. It only took 15 to 20 rotations of the prop to get a good 5 - 8 psi on the EIS. The first engine start was a non event, all good. I've got 1.4 hours on the engine just taxing around and checking everything out.

Gary
N325AB
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Thanks Gary. Look forward to winter performance reports. Your FWF looks great.
Super Stol Kit #299
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Dennis, What happened between July 2009 and June of 2014? The time line on this thermostat problem does not make sense. Mike Brown had some very informative information regarding the function of the thermosat. I learned a lot reading his comments. I thought it very clearly explained the temperatures in the ROTAX oil system as well as the requirements and operating goals which are much higher than I thought they would be. Has it really been that long since you flew your baby? Ouch! Joe B
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

OH no, I have been flying the bird as often as I can. That thing called work gets in the way... :?
I did install the new thermostat. Works great. Keeps the oil temp at 180-190 degrees in the winter. When I pull up hard for awhile doing about 1000fpm climb the temp will rise in the summer but after leveling off it goes right back to 200 degrees. So would I recommend the thermostat. Yep. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...

Return to “Just Aircraft”