Highlander Reliability with 912 Rotax

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Alaskahigh

Highlander Reliability with 912 Rotax

Post by Alaskahigh »

Hello Highlander and Rotax Users.

Am purchasing a Highlander on heavy gear and big tires to use in Alaska. Fly very remote regions of the state and would like to have any comments on engine and system reliability. Most often fly over terrain where a forced landing without aircraft damage is impossible 99plus percent of the time the plane is in the air.

Your experiences, cautions, starting, cold weather operation, fuel and etc. Have run out  a few engines in a cub and have never had an inflight failure.

Sparky Imeson and Dick Mutterer signed me off 30 years ago in Jackson Hole and their good start has kept me flying. Appreciated your comments about Sparky.

Sincerely Alaskahigh
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I have 1030 hrs on my 912s and it has been great. The only thing I have had problems with has been voltage regulators. I have had 3 of them go out. They don't cause the engine to quit but they cost about $170 to replace. 2 of them I noticed my voltage getting low and the other one it was running too high.
Steve
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Steve,
Do you have installed the 22000uf capacitor???
if you do not have it installed,that could be the reason the voltage regulators get damaged since depending on the electrical installation on your plane sometimes you cut the master switch when the engine is running and the regulator does not have where to discharge the energy.  In this moment it fails, if you have installed the capacitor straight to the regulator it will absorve the energy and saves the regulator.  Another reason could be, that you have a ground problem, sometimes it is good to place a wire direct from the engine´s ground to the regulator case.
Regards,
Uwe/.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I'm pretty sure I have the cap. Last time I did ground it like you are saying and so far it's doing fine.
Thanks and sorry I took so long to reply, I just now noticed your post. :?
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)

Return to “Just Aircraft”