Circuit breakers

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Circuit breakers

Post by Roger »

A couple of  questions for one of you guys that are into electronics way more then me.
I have the 912ULS Rotax in the Highlander and the Rotax manuel calls for a 2 amp breaker or fuse for the starter solonoid which is what I have. Last evening I hooked up the battery and turned the engine over maybe a half turn and the breaker popped. I tried again with the same results. Those of you that have this same setup, have you had anything like this, and if so whats the remedy?
Second question: I had the 10 amp breaker pop on the strobe lights too. Surely 10 amps is enough for the strobes. Right?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Roger
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey roger jak here. I've never put the breaker on the starter relay and i've never saw a set of strobes that take less than a 15 amp breaker except the new led ones.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Roger,  You need to contact Jak to talk about your wiring and breakers.  He is the guy in the KNOW............. :wink:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Roger
Veteran Member

Circuit breakers

Post by Roger »

Hey Jak, thanks a bunch for that. I thought that 10 amps on the strobes would be enough. I'll try a 15 amp and see what happens. I talked to a friend of mine today about the solonoid, and he said on all his old cars that he rebuilds, he uses at least a 20 amp breaker or fuse, and he's a pro. Don't know why Rotax calls for a 2 amp. Doesn't even make sense.

And thanks to Dennis too.

Roger
KevinC
Veteran Member

Aeroelectric connection

Post by KevinC »

Roger,

I used this wiring diagram (with a few small mods) for my Rotax/Highlander.  http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_A ... s/Z16M.pdf

Not an expert by any means - but it worked the first time and so far (~24 hrs) no problems.

Lots of good info at this website.

k
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey it's Jak again I'm not at the plant this week  but as soon as I get back there I will look at the rotax book I have and see what the 2 amp is all about. I put a 30 on the power coming in from the eng and havn't put a 2 on anything yet. I will check and let you know though.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Circuit breakers

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Roger wrote:Hey Jak, thanks a bunch for that. I thought that 10 amps on the strobes would be enough. I'll try a 15 amp and see what happens. I talked to a friend of mine today about the solonoid, and he said on all his old cars that he rebuilds, he uses at least a 20 amp breaker or fuse, and he's a pro. Don't know why Rotax calls for a 2 amp. Doesn't even make sense.

And thanks to Dennis too.

Roger
The 2 could be a decimal point typo error...
Wes
Premium Member

Starter Solenoid

Post by Wes »

Hey Guys,
I measured the current draw on the solenoid and it was 2.6 amp at 13.7 volts. So, the Rotax schematic is certainly in error where they show a 2 A breaker. Bob Nuchols schematic that calls for a 7A breaker is more correct. I would think 5 to 10 amp would be OK.

Figuring out fuel plumbing and fitting the turtle deck.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”