New Gear

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Lynng
Veteran Member

New Gear

Post by Lynng »

I have been struggling to make the upgrades to my aircraft this week. When I say struggle I mean physically and mentally. For future reference if you change your gear make sure you have EVERYTHING you need.

1. NEW bunges, and Safety Cable (they wear out fast)
2. NEW bolts, washers, nuts and cotter pins (AN4-24 x 8, AN4-22 x 6)
3. A 36" 1/4 Reamer
4. NEW GEAR AXLE IS LONGER.....BE SURE YOU HAVE THE BUSHING

You will need to lift the airplane 40" of the ground.....good luck....my backache will be weeks from recovery.

Please Check the parts before you start.

My holes on one leg varied by up to an 1/8 of an inch.

Lynn  :cry:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Lynn,
please post pics, pics, pics
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Lynn,
I understand the pain, I did the same thing
:shock:
Steve
Lynng
Veteran Member

Gear

Post by Lynng »

According to Troy my post is all wrong.....I wish Jake or someone at the factory would follow up on my post with the factory specs for the gear.. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Ok I'll try to clear this up we had a meeting Fri. and decided to put together as a kit the entire extreme gear package. As of Monday May 18th Any new orders of an Extreme Gear Package will receive:
  2 Gear Legs
  1 V Brace
  2 Bungie Struts
  4 Bungie cords
  2 Pre made Safety Cables
  8 AN 4-23 bolts
  4 AN 4-16 bolts
  12 Castelated nuts
  24 new washers
  12 new cotter pins
   1 wheel spacer kit
   ( I hope I have remembered it all)
 Heres what you do.  After you have covered your legs and or painted them.lift the plane up highn enought to get the old tires off. (Dosn't matter if you lift from above or below.) Remove one gear leg and bungie strut. Ream the three mounting points on the new leg. ( This takes a 36" 1/4" reamer)  Put the new leg up to where it mounts and see how much of the mounting bushings need to be massaged (removed ) to get it to fit. Just when all three fit into the mounting lugs on the plane. STOP FILING.  Put the leg into position and bolt with the new bolts (AN 4-23) use a washer under the head of the bolt and the nut. Do not over tighten the castelated nut. Once the play is removed on the bolt stop tightening and cotter pin.  Now replace the V Brace with the new one. Use An 4-23 bolts here also with washers on both ends, However tighten these good and cotter pin. (Don't ask how much torque because I've never used a torque wrench just tighten them up and pin.) Now replace the other gear leg as done before. When both legs are on, Put the bungie struts on but do not tighten at this time. Temporarly wrap a bungis cord around enough to hold the plane up ( I typically use only one here and wrap 5 rounds.) Use the An 4-16 bolts here with washers on both sides. Now measure the angle of the axles as they are sitting you want 1.5 degrees or as close as you can get. To adjust this you remove the longer bungie strut, pull it apart and file or grind a little off of the bottom tube where it meets the top tube. ( A little goes a long way here so be carefull.) Once you are satisfied with attitude of the plane. Put on the new safety cables and wrap the bungies according to the original instruction.  It takes me about an hour and a half to get this far. There are instructions with the wheel mounting kit as to how to use it.  I know I'v probable created as many questions as I've answered  but I tried.   Jak
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Jak,

You seem to have described the job quite well. I was able to follow along with no problems.

How much longer are the legs, how many $s, what about the wheels and tires?

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I don't know how much it cost you'll have to call the factory and speak to Harry he handles all that stuff, and as far as how much longer are they I'll find out when I get there this morning.  It really depends on which tires you want as to how much, again ask Harry.  Jak
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

Thanks Jak,

I need to check my gear angle and make the adjustment you recommended. I can't wait to fly again.

Lynn :)  :)
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Jak
Where can you get a 36" reamer? I haven't been able to find one

Steve
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Weld a 36" peice of 3/16 rod to the end of a regular reamer. Thats what we did.   Jak
Gary H
Veteran Member

gear

Post by Gary H »

Lynn
If I send you a camera would you take some pictures??  LOL
Will fly for food!!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

thanks Jak

Steve
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

New Gear vs Old Gear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

The Old Gear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

How scary is this picture........was too scared to take time for a photo with no gear under it..

Return to “Just Aircraft”