A new accessory

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rubobrun
Forum Regular

A new accessory

Post by rubobrun »

A great gadget and stops kickbacks on cold starts, easy to install and well worth 200bucks(see ROAN website) The Soft start module,My sprague clutch love me!!!!
retired and luvinit
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Here is the link to the evaluation video:

http://www.rotax-owner.com/exp/ssm-MAIN.htm

The installation would be a little more complicated for me because I don't have separate switches for each ignition but smoothing out the start would be a good thing.

This is a quote from the bullyhawk site
"The Soft Start Module (SSM) alters the timing on one ignition circuit. It has been found to be highly beneficial on 912ULS engines fitted with a slipper clutch.
The real cause of these problems is inadequate batteries and long starter cables resulting in slow cranking speeds. The Soft Start Module helps overcome the problems caused by these short falls."

Does anyone know why JA puts the battery so far back? It seem to me that moving it forward improves the weight and balance with a little cargo.. It's not like this plane is nose heavy, at least not with a Rotax installation.  Putting the battery up front eliminates the extra weight of the long cables, and would help the cranking.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Same for me.  I also have the single switch.  I do has some rough starts from time to time.  It varies.  I mounted my battery in the back of the cargo compartment.  Not a lot more forward but some.  I wonder what would be involved in working the double switch for mags?  I have the standard key switch with 1-2-start position.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I mounted my battery on the firewall and maybe that is why I don't understand what you mean but rough starts.  Mine fires right up, almost instantly whether cold or hot.  Could you clarify?

Paul, PA
Paul, PA
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

The video does a decent job of showing the rough start. If the cranking speed is a little slow, the first couple of times the engine hits can really rattle the plane.

So Paul, did you mount your battery to the firewall from the beginning? That's where I was thinking of moving mine. Not much room on the engine side but I was thinking high on the cabin side.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Rick,

My eyes went right past the link.  I watched it and now better understand your concern.  I mounted my battery from the start to do just what your saying, free up the weight from the tail and make it easier to work on, saved cable weight, eliminated running cables underneith, etc.  My battery cables are less than 1 ft so I always have plenty of crank and when it starts it seems real smooth and solid with just a quick lurch to life.  It is as if it was already warmed up and just needed the o.k. to do it again.    

Paul
Paul, PA
rubobrun
Forum Regular

switch (new acessory)

Post by rubobrun »

single switch can be modified by removing  start solenoid wire and installing a push button start switch in series from your master,then just start on the left mag(or right) whichever its wired and switch to both to run, works great and yes shorter cables are the best.    Bob Waldhaus
retired and luvinit
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I started with my battery in the tail and didn't like anything about it there. I like it as close to the firewall as possible.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Ok guy's it was asked why at the factory we put the battery where we do and about moving it forward. Here's the low down.  When we build at the factory we usually put in a firewall blanket on the inside  to cover the stuff we ran up the inside and to insulate from heat, so no room for the Batt on the inside of the firewall. On the outside of the firewall there is no room for the Batt with the current exhaust system used. We don't use the system that Paul has. (I have never even saw that one until I saw his picture) This leaves us with the cockpit or baggage compartment. We don't want it in eather one of those because of space taken up or possible fumes. So we put it as close to the rear of the baggage compartment as possible. You can put it anywhere you want to as long as your mindfull of your weight and ballance. And yes the shorter the cables the better we know this. As far as the hard starting, It has always been said to keep your battery up a week battery will do it every time. If you only fly ocasionaly a battery keeper is a good thing to have hooked up. Thanks Guys keep up the questions.  Jak

Return to “Just Aircraft”