Oil pressure guage

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Oil pressure guage

Post by Roger »

Has anyone, using the VDO oil pressure guage, had any trouble with theirs? I have mine installed, and I'm getting a short in the guage to the panel. I flipped on the master for the first time and the oil pressure and oil temp. pegged. I have both guage on the same ground. I isolated the oil pressure, and I still get a reading on the resistance guage between the panel face and all the terminals on the back of the guage.
Any ideas?

Roger
Wes
Premium Member

VDO Gages Troubleshooting

Post by Wes »

Roger,
I posted a reply to your PM and thought I better duplicate it here in case anybody else could help.
Actually, I finally got to catch up on the posts that I missed and found this one.

I checked my eng. gage panel (also have the EDO gages) and with it set up on the test bench,
when I applied a test resistor from the sensor lead to ground,I got the following indications:
 Gage        Full Scale Indication    1/2 scale    Zero indication
Oil Temp            18 ohms              47 ohms       open
Oil Press.            open                   100 ohms     10 ohms

So, I would conclude from your test, where both gages went full scale with power on, that you have:
1) an Oil press sensor lead that is OPEN going to the sender
2) and Oil Temp lead that is shorted to ground somewhere.

BTW, my Oil Press gage needle tends to stick in the full scale position after powering it with the sensor lead open.
I have to wrap on the face to make it return to zero after power is removed.

Hope this helps.
Let me know what you find.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Roger
Veteran Member

VDO gauges

Post by Roger »

Thanks Wes!!
I've also dropped a note to the Rotax facility up in BC where the engine came from. Maybe I'll get an answer back from them tomorrow. I'll try to keep you all informed in case someone else runs' into the same problem.

Roger

Return to “Just Aircraft”