Re-pitched prop, covered muffler, replaced coolant line

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re-pitched prop, covered muffler, replaced coolant line

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok, been busy working on the plane.  I smelled anti-freeze the other day.  I checked.  I covered most of the hoses for the coolant with red firesafe material and wrapped the hoses that were close to the muffler with muffler heat tape.  Well, one of the hoses burned through and was leaking.  I replaced the hose, bought some really good black muffler heat tape and covered the muffler this time, put an extra cut hose over the actual hose and zip tied it in.  Looks like it will work this time.  That muffler is really close to both sides of the coolant hose.  Maybe when it is time to redo everthing I will look at rerouting.
I repitched the prop.  I was static with a Rotax 912uls and a 70in 3 blade Warp Drive at 5,400rpms.  I repitched to static at 5,100rpms.  I gained 8-10mph cruise but also added amost double the take-off length.  Even so, she jumps off the ground better than most.  I am now cruising at about 105mph indicated.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Dennis,
 Does this mean that the stock
thermostat that you have is
sufficient, and you were losing
coolant from the damaged hose
and not the coolant bottle?

Thanks for the report.

John

P.S. I'll bet you'll get  106 mph with
wheel pants!  So go ahead & add them,
so I know if I need to finish mine!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Hey John....not sure why the coolant overheated and came out the bottle the other day.  Could be caused by the bad hose but ya know the engine NEVER did overheat.  Stayed constant temp.  The only problem I have had is with the OIL TEMP rising during heavy climb.  I still think it might be the thermostat.  Can't afford to do anything about it right now but in time will take a look at it again.
I REALLY thought about putting the wheel pants on for some time now.   :)    But, with the grass field I have would only cause problems I think.   Oh well,,,,will have to find other ways of increasing that speed!   :wink:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Thanks for your continued input.

John

scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok, took the plane up with a passenger to play in the mountains.  After re-pitching the prop I knew that it would not perform like before but not as bad as I thought.  I did not enjoy it at all.  Max rpm's were 5,200 in climb and decreased to 5,000 at 800 fpm.  It took WAY too long to get off the ground with the extra weight of the passenger.  Now, reconsidering and will probably re-pitch the prop back.  Maybe it is me...maybe I need to get use to the lower performance for the added 10mph.  Need some opinions.....what do you think???  :?:
Dennis
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

With my very limited experience in this
sport, my comment would be, configure
the prop for what makes you comfortable,
and let your wallet take up the slack...

Flying ain't cheap... & it's just money...

John

rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

After experimenting with my prop a bit, I was also surprised how big a difference a small pitch change can make. I think Steve has it figured out, in flight adjustable pitch is the way to go...
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

yap , thats is the way to go.  ¡¡  ivo standard  in flight adjust !!
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Use, I asked steve this in another thread but he probably hasn't checked in lately. Is the 72" Ivo ultralight prop the one people are using?
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Rick,
yes the prop is a Ivo ultralight  72" in flight adjust,
regards Uwe/.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Well, ya know I would most certainly do the in-flight adjustable except I have to keep the plane within sport pilot regs due to my certificate.  So, I think I will spend tomorrow re-adjusting.  It is no easy task to re-pitch the Warp Drive.  Takes some time.
Anyway, will let you know.
:shock:
Dennis
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Uwe,
 Is that a 701 in the pic?

John

Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi John,

Yes, it is a Colombian made version, a little different that the original Zenith 701.

regards
Uwe/.
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Dennis,
I'm in the same situation as you are with a sport pilot cert.  I was really wanting to increase my cruise with my Kiev and basically had the same experience you had.  I've since recalibrated my prop to give me 5500 at take-off and it's a nice compromise.  I also took some time the other day to really figure out just exactly what I was gaining by this need to cruise at 100 mph and when I actually figured out the time savings on my average trip it really wasn't worth worrying about becasue I was saving between 5-20 minutes.   Just a thought to ease the pain :)

Steve
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Ya know Steve you are right.  I was thinking of the same thing.  The longest average flight I take is 3 hours.  So I might save 20 minutes or so....hmmmm.    I did repitch the prop today and got it at 5,300rpms static.  I will be flying it tomorrow morning for a test flight.  
I also went ahead and rerouted the coolant hose so that it is no where near the exhaust pipe.  So no worries!
I want to take a vacation somewhere for a couple days but everywhere I look around here within a 3 hour flight is 30-40 percent chance of rain....  :roll:
Will keep looking,
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”