How much time does it take to cover an aircraft?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kevinthorp
Forum Regular

How much time does it take to cover an aircraft?

Post by kevinthorp »

How much time does it take to cover and paint a tube & fabric aircraft like the Escapade/Highlander?  I've heard it can be as much as 50% of the total construction time.

The last plane I covered was a Guillows balsa P-47 Thunderbolt, when I was about 14.
Kevin Thorp
Former Cessna 150 pilot
Charleston, SC
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Kevin you can cover the fuselage in 1 day you can cover the wings in 1 day also a day for all the tail surfaces and the gear taping them will cost you another day or two and then a day ironing the tapes and your done about a week total if you work full time on it.   Jak
KevinC
Veteran Member

.... and the other end of the spectrum

Post by KevinC »

Ok. I'll chime in for the other end of the building experience.

I was almost exactly 1/2 of the way there when I started covering/painting.  Besides cover/paint I had engine mounting, firewall, electrical and windshield to do at that point.  It took me 877 days from kit pick-up to finish and that was with working a real job FULL time, my first aircraft build and two teenage kids - so it is probable that almost anyone could build faster.

fwiw

Kevin C
N509KC
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

If I did another one today it would take me 2 weeks, but a skill level needs to be reached. I would estimate 200-250 hours is what I spent covering everything. I was slow and methodical in laying tapes. Had to recover one gear 'cause the bottom V was wrinkly and I struggled with the flaps and ailerons a bit. I enjoyed the covering process more then any other part of the project.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I enjoyed the "glue" the most....  :oops:  
:roll:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
kevinthorp
Forum Regular

Post by kevinthorp »

What about the total hours to build the aircraft?  

I know there are lot of variable in that equation but I think most kit plane companies are a little optimistic when they publish construction time estimates.
Kevin Thorp
Former Cessna 150 pilot
Charleston, SC
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

kevinthorp wrote:What about the total hours to build the aircraft?  

I know there are lot of variable in that equation but I think most kit plane companies are a little optimistic when they publish construction time estimates.
Under 500 hours for the standard completed airplane for me. In my case, significant extra hours for the additional cabin mods and customizations to a bush capable amphib plus turbointercooled engine mods were added to that basic 500 hours.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

It took me from time of delivery to in the air 750 hours with several ultralight builds under my belt.  First time though doing fabric.  Took me right at one year.  I have a full-time job and worked on it every second I had.  I kept some pretty accurate records with pics.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...

Return to “Just Aircraft”