So tell us about the new landing gear?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

So tell us about the new landing gear?

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok Paul and others, what can you tell all of us about the new better landing gear for tricycle set-up?  Do you use the same gear just larger tires on the mains and a longer larger tire up front?  How much would all this cost from the factory?  Fill us in  :D
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I don't know that it is better, it is simply a new nose gear allowing all us Highlander tailwheel folks the option to truly go to a nose gear without having to purchase new main gear legs and a new nose wheel.  You simply re-use your main gear legs (reversed and brought back) and then the "new" nose gear is designed for their height and beefed up a bit.  The entire set up is higher off the ground and uses larger tires.  Mine was a prototype if you will so I don't know their pricing.  I also put one of their first new dynafocal engine mounts and a new quieter exhaust on as well so the cost is buried in it all.  I wound up basically rebuilding my engine compartment but in the end it was worth it.  I love the changes all around!  See another post for Oshkosh for a few pictures.  As I said in that post, for the type of flying I am doing this is the way I should have gone from the beginning.  I'm still landing on grass, fields, paved runways and everywhere I used to.  If I really want to go out and try those rocky riverbeds like the video's I'll just convert it back to the 26" bushtires I still have.  It now is truly convertable in about an hour!
Paul, PA
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey Dennis, The new gear uses the highlander main gear so there is a 1 1/4" axle on the main tires, then we put a 600X6 nose tire on. The main tires we used on the prototype were 700X6. We were able to use the original nose mounting lugs on the fuseloge and just re-enginer the front leg to the new height and length. You would have to get all new everything for gear because the escapede gear you have has nothing in common with the new gear. We are still testing and have not come up with it as a kit yet, but soon.   Jak
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Paul, did you buy the engine mount ring from Rotax or is Troy making them now?  I had to get mine from Rotax and the damn thing cost $1000....
Last edited by rmullins on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Rick,

Troy is making them now.

Paul
Paul, PA
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Paul,
 Which exhaust do you have now?

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

John, it is the exhaust Troy has started having "Aircraft Exhaust" make for him. I know others refer to Sam Peachy having one and I believe Lynn just picked one up. Supposedly the Rotax is even quieter but this one was so quiet that my buddy and his wife yesterday didn't even hear me land. I just came taxiing over and they were shocked! I have the old 4 into 1 for sale now if anyone is looking for a good deal.
Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

OH MAN  :x  :x  :x   Now I gotta buy the new landing gear and nose wheel, AND the new exhaust....what do you guys think??? I am made of money  :?
So who do I write the check out to?
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis, don't forget the new ring mount for the engine to eliminate all vibration on the frame.   :wink:

Paul
Paul, PA
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

Dennis,

I have the mains if you need them. Let me know and I will get them to you ..... they are covered and everything. :D

Lynn
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Keep an eye on the new exhaust. I was working with Troy and Aircraft Exhaust to help design these and I think mine is pretty close to the production ones. After about 70 hours every one of the ports on the exhaust can had developed cracks where they attach to the end plates, one broke completely off. We re-welded it with some reinforcements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Paul,
 They were able to make that Exhaust
work with your Trike gear?

Also,  The new Dynofocal style mount is
the way to go?

I still need to work out a trade with Troy
on the Jabiru mount that I purchased with
my initial kit...

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

John, it was close but it fit with no problems. As you can see from the photo of my wife and I, it all works. As far as the new mount, I have been real surprised how much smoother the engine is now and I don't notice any vibration issues resonating like before. Just smooth pulling power and I'm real happy with it!
Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I think I will hold off on the engine mount for now.  Maybe in the future I will redo everything and do it then when I have the engine off.  
I would like to take a look at the new nose wheel.  Any ideas on cost yet?  How easy is it to remove the standard and replace it?
Lynn, you are such a doll  :wink:    I would love to have them so when the new front wheel comes out I can replace it all.  I would be glad to pay for them plus shipping etc....just let me know with a PM.  
Take care all!
Dennis
p.s.  We had a pilot go down in the mountains this past week.  Not sure what caused it.  He had thousands of hours flying IFR.  We think heart attack.  He was the president of our airport corporation that I have my hangar at.  Please keep his family in your thoughts.

Return to “Just Aircraft”