Type gas on x-cntry?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Type gas on x-cntry?

Post by Roger »

Hey Lynn, Dennis, and others who do cross country flights, and who run the Rotax912's:
Talk to us about the gas that your able to obtain on those x-cntry's. I'm able to buy 91 oct. gas here in Colorado, without the ethenol, but I'm betting that on a cross country, I wouldn't be able to get it at most airports. Are you burning mostly 100 LL in the Rotax 912's? What are the ramifications of burning 100LL while using the new Shell semi-senthetic?

Roger
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Hey Roger,  You pretty much answered yourself.  When I do cross country flights, I fill up with the premium auto gas that I get here.  I have an ethenol tester and go around to stations until I find some with only 5% or less.  Then when I land if they don't have the premium auto I get the 100LL.  I use the new shell oil designed for this type of fueling.  I have never had a problem doing it this way.  I also change the oil at 25 hours if I have used the 100LL.  It calls for 50 hours but hey, does not cost that much when you are looking at a $25,000 engine.  Overall I would rather burn 100LL than 10%+ ethenol.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...

Return to “Just Aircraft”