Aileron cable tension and landings!!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
juliant
Seasoned Member

Aileron cable tension and landings!!

Post by juliant »

Hi
Anybody got a way to determine what the aileron cable tension should be and where and how you would measure it? also I note mine has a tight spot in the middle and slackens off gradually in both directions - is this what others are getting?
Went solo the other day and now have 3 hours done, have the take offs going well and some of my landings !! Despite some of my multiple landings I still can't wipe the smile off my face!
As this is my first tail dragger I guess it takes time to master the art
cheers
Julian
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

It's normal for the aileron cable to be looser as you reach the limits of the control. I'm not sure how you would measure it, maybe someone else can chime in here. I have mine snug, but not tight, in the center.

Regarding bouncing, I had 20 years of trike flying before I got my Highlander. I figured there would be a transition period, but I already knew how to land, how hard could it be? It ended up taking me a lot longer to get consistent landings than I ever thought it would. I'm still capable of a good bounce every now and then, but now I'm more confidant in how to handle them.  A friend told me the only people who don't have bad landings occasionally are the ones that aren't flying....
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Lynng
Veteran Member

Post by Lynng »

Jak may have a number, but I would caution you to keep them light so your pulleys and guides don't wear.

Lynn
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey we do not use a tensionometer like on certified aircraft. Just get the slack out and don't try to get to tight not only does it wear the pulley's but also streatches the cables. Jak

Return to “Just Aircraft”